University Housing Hallmarks

Your Guide to Living in the Residence Halls

Residence Hall Contracts

The University Housing Contract is an explicitly worded legal document, an agreement between the student and the University. The contract should be read carefully. Any questions about this contract should be referred only to the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 or Other staff members are not trained to interpret the Housing Contract.

As noted in section 3c of the Housing Contract, the regulations in Hallmarks are part of a resident's contractual relationship with University Housing. Regulations help establish equitable rights and services for present and future residents. A handwritten or electronic signature on the Housing Contract is the legal agreement to abide by the provisions in the contract and the regulations in this handbook.

Residents are also responsible for living within the standards in the University’s Student Code. The Student Code is available at the Dean of Students Office, 300 Turner Student Services Building, or you can read it online.

Special Contracts

Room-Only Contracts
Room-Only Contracts are available to students who are assigned to Daniels or Sherman Halls. See the contract for deadlines to change or cancel meal plans.
Break Housing Contracts
All students who wish to reside in a designated break housing hall during a break period must sign a Break Housing Contract. Any student without a Break Housing Contract who accesses a building during a break period will be assessed the full break housing charge amount. In addition, any student who accesses a hall without a Break Housing Contract will be referred to the University Conduct process and/or to the University Police for trespassing.
Summer Contracts
Summer Housing Contracts at Daniels Hall are available for graduate and undergraduate students. Daniels Hall residents may remain in their same hall if they sign a Summer Contract. Apply for summer housing online starting in early spring semester.

Contract Cancellation, Transfer, and Termination

Contract Cancellation–New Resident
If you wish to cancel your University Housing Contract based upon one of the reasons listed in section 11 of the contract, you may return to the online contract and cancel the contract with no penalty prior to May 15. After May 15, complete the online Contract Cancellation Form and send supporting documentation to the Housing Information Office (e.g., letter from your department verifying graduation, study abroad, or co-op). You will forfeit your $150 advance payment if you cancel after May 15 (or December 1 for new spring semester contracts). If you are not canceling your contract for one of the reasons approved in section 11 of the Contract, you are subject to a settlement charge of up to 75% of your room and board rate.
Contract Cancellation–Current Resident/Renewal
The University Housing Contract is for the academic year and can only be canceled before the dates listed in the contract. Each year current residents have an opportunity to sign a contract and choose a specific room and hall for the following academic year. Once you select a room and complete a contract, you have 30 days to cancel the contract with no charge. If you decide to cancel after the 30- day period, there will be a settlement charge of up to 75% of your entire contract amount.
Contract Cancellation–Appeal
A release from the University Housing Contract for reasons other than an academic drop or official withdrawal from the University is highly unlikely. If you feel that personal circumstances warrant consideration, you can request a copy of the Contract Release Petition form from the Housing Information Office in 100 Clark Hall. You should complete the release form, supply all necessary documentation, and return the completed form as directed. Only the Associate Director of University Housing for Housing Information & Marketing grants final approval. You should not sign another contract before being notified in writing of release from your University Housing Contract.
Contract Cancellation–University Withdrawal
If a student has officially withdrawn from the University before the end of the academic year, they must submit the online cancellation form to cancel their contract. They must also sign the checkout change form with the area office. Students must complete the check-out procedures.
They are responsible for all University Housing Contract charges until they are checked out of the room, keys are returned, and the Contract Cancellation Form is submitted.
Contract Transfer–Private Certified Housing/Reciprocity
Students living in University Housing residence halls or Private Certified Housing/Greek units have the opportunity to move at selected times during the academic year. This opportunity applies to any University Housing residence hall resident. Under the reciprocal agreement, you may cancel your contract to move to a designated Private Certified Housing unit at set times during the year, following the published procedure. The student may move from designated Private Certified Housing or Greek units to the University Housing residence hall system. Students requesting to move to a certified unit for the fall semester must submit the Reciprocal Agreement Release Application prior to Move-In day. For the spring semester, residents must submit the Reciprocal Agreement Release Application by November 15th. Applications may be obtained at area/hall offices or the Housing website.
Contract Release–Off-Campus Program Absence for Semester or Year
If you will be absent from the residence halls for a semester while participating in an undergraduate off-campus academic program (such as study abroad, internship, cooperative program, or student teaching), contact the Housing Information Office around October 1 to obtain a University Housing Contract for the subsequent spring semester. Students studying abroad during the spring semester who wish to return the following fall semester may participate in Housing Sign---Up during the October preceding the spring semester away. Contact the Housing Information Office for more information.
Contract Termination–Academic Drops
Students may be dropped from the University because of poor academic performance. If a student's name appears on the University academic drop list, the Housing Information Office will contact the resident to cancel the University Housing Contract because they are no longer considered to have "student" status. If the student plans to petition their College or Department for readmission and wishes for the contract to remain in effect pending the outcome of the appeal, a request must be submitted in writing to: Housing Information Office, 100 Clark Hall, 1203 South Fourth Street, Champaign, IL 61820-6982; fax to (217) 244-0394; or email by the specified deadline.
Contract Termination–Non-Registered Student Status
The contract requires residents to be enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in order to live in the residence halls. If a resident loses their student status (due to withdrawal from the University, academic or judicial dismissal, failure to complete enrollment, etc.) they are required to cancel their contract and move out of the hall. In some cases, the resident may be permitted to remain in the halls for a limited time; however, all housing room and board charges will continue to apply, and permission must be secured through the Assistant Director of University Housing for Housing Information & Marketing. Having another lease DOES NOT constitute a "special" circumstance.
Contract Termination or Room/Suite Change–Administrative
Residents may be subject to an administrative room/suite change or contract termination for significant threats to persons or property, including but not limited to: assault/battery; setting a fire; tampering with fire safety equipment; use of fireworks; propelling or discarding items from residence hall windows; the manufacture, use, or distribution of a controlled substance; or continued disruptive behavior. The Code outlines additional actions and penalties. An administrative room change is NOT judicially based and, as such, may be imposed as a separate action from an official hearing with a hearing body. An administrative room change or contract termination may take place in addition to a hearing.
Although every effort will be made to oblige student preferences, full authority is reserved by the University to assign (and/or reassign) space in accordance with determinations made by the University. The student agrees to accept any accommodations the University assigns.
In addition to the terms of the contract, students are subject to the regulations in the Code and may be required to move into another space or to leave the residence halls pursuant to sanctions imposed under the University disciplinary system.
The University reserves the right to terminate the contract by written notice if a student fails to comply with any of the terms and conditions of the contract and all other University Undergraduate or Graduate residence hall rules and regulations.

University Student Account and Room Charges

Once a month, the University of Illinois contacts students and Authorized Payers reminding them to view the student account for recent activity. The student account will show all University and University Housing charges, including any prorated charges or credits for room or meal plan changes. Failure to pay your Housing charges in accordance with the payment schedule outlined in the Contract may result, at the sole option of the University, in the denial of further meals or contract termination pursuant to University rules and regulations.
You will be billed for half of the academic year room and board rate each semester. During the spring semester, the amount billed is half, minus $150 credit for the advance payment made at the time you initiated the contract.

Damages, Repairs and Charges
The following examples are some of the commonly billed damages found in resident rooms.
1. Tape marks on the walls/doors/windows/ceilings
2. Decals/stickers or residue from such
3. Missing/damaged furniture (including scratches, dents, gouges, TV cable missing)
4. Carpet, trash or recycling items left in room
5. Missing/loose floor tiles
6. Holes in or missing screens
7. Bent/damaged blind slats
8. Dismantled or damaged room smoke detectors

Damage Billing Amounts
1. ADA sign replacement $50
2. Bathroom key replacement $50 administrative fee
3. Bulletin board replacement $25–$75
4. Ceiling tile replacement $25 minimum
5. Cooking occurrences $50 per occurrence
6. Desktop replacement $100 minimum
7. Desk lamp (floor lounge), replacement $75
8. Desk lamp (floor lounge), missing fluorescent bulbs $15
9. Desk lamp (floor lounge), missing ballast $15
10. Dining room, failure to take a tray to the conveyor $5 per occurrence
11. Dining room, tableware or food removed $10 per item
12. Door refinish one side $175 minimum
13. Door (room or closet) replace $300
14. Elevator retrieval of personal belongings, including keys $35
15. Excessive room cleaning assessment based on time necessary to clean
16. Fire extinguisher repair $15–25
17. Fire extinguisher replacement up to $100
18. Furniture replacement Cost of the item
19. Furniture moved from designated room $40 per item
20. Furniture moved from lounge to room $40 per item
21. Glass/window replacement $30 minimum
22. i-card lost (Temporary/Guest) $20
23. Improper check-out $25 (not completing the check-out with an RA and/or not returning keys)
24. Key loss and replacement (room key only) $50/ lock
25. Key not returned (room key only) $50 per key
26. Lock/latch-set/passage replacement $105 minimum
27. Late check-out (not pre---approved) $25 per hour
28. Micro-fridge, cleaning and/or replacing unit (Sherman) $50 minimum
29. Mini-blinds repair $20 minimum
30. Mini-blinds replacement $80
31. Mirror replacement $30 minimum
32. Nail holes repaired $30 minimum
33. Paint student room $250
34. Personal carpet removal $40
35. Posting, improper or unapproved $25 per posted area
36. Room change, unauthorized $50
37. Smoke detector replace/reconnect/tampered with $250
38. Student Room hub replacement $25
39. Student Room hub power supply replacement $10
40. Student Room hub cable replacement $4
41. Telephone jack repair or replacement $20–40
42. Trash container in student room $23
43. Touch---up or wash painted surface $30 minimum
44. TV cable replacement $5
45. Window screen re-installment in window $20
46. Window screen replacement $30
47. Window screen and frame replacement $65
Hall & Room/Suite Charges

The charges listed above are based on approximate costs and will vary according to the hall and the situation. They are also based on wages for work performed during regular working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays). Work completed at any other time will be billed at an overtime rate, which can be up to twice the regular hourly rate. Calls at night or during weekends or holidays also have a minimum charge of two hours. The minimum billed to a resident account for damages is $10.

Assignments and Room Changes

You agree to pay the applicable rate for the space to which you are assigned. Every effort is made to oblige student preferences and requests for assignments to specific rooms/suites, halls, or roommates. However, according to the contract, full authority is reserved by the University to make assignment and reassignment of space in residence halls.
Temporary Housing
Residents assigned to temporary housing locations (floor lounges) will be notified as openings occur in permanent spaces. Students will continue to be assigned in order of the date their contract was received. The student's original area and room type preference will be considered, but cannot be guaranteed. Once residents are notified of their permanent assignment, staying in temporary housing the entire semester is not an option.
Room Changes
Authorized room changes are only completed in the manner described below. Requests for a change from one room to another, whether in the same hall or to a different hall, begin with a resident advisor (RA) in the undergraduate halls. It is very important for safety as well as billing that students live in their official assignment. Unauthorized moves may result in a $50 charge, and residents may be required to move back to their original assignment locations.
Residents are assigned to the same room for both semesters. Unless there are urgent and exceptional circumstances, room changes do not take place during:
1. The first two weeks of each semester (to allow for students in temporary housing to be
permanently assigned first, as well as to allow roommates to get to know each other).
2. After the Thanksgiving/Fall Break and before Winter/Semester Break, as this is a critical time leading up to exams.
3. The last four weeks of the academic year.
Residents may submit a Room Change Request using the online form in MyHousing around November 15th.
Room Change Checklist
Students should complete all items on this checklist to avoid being billed any charges when moving:
1. Complete a Room Change Request via MyHousing.
2. Wait for authorization from the resident director and hall/area secretary before beginning the move.
3. Report to your current hall/area office to sign a Change of Contract form.
4. Complete the end-of-semester room change prior to leaving for break.
5. All belongings must be out of the "old" room.
6. Complete all check-out procedures as outlined in this document.
7. Pick up the new room keys at the hall/area office.
8. Return the old room keys to the hall/area office within 24 hours after picking up the new keys.
9. Submit a forwarding address for U.S. mail, if necessary (can be done in MyHousing).
10. If a resident has already moved into her/his new room, University Housing Contract charges will continue until the resident cancels her/his contract by completing a Change of Contract form, vacates the old room, completes check-out procedures, and returns the keys.
Residents who remain within the University Housing residence halls will automatically have their address and phone number changed in Banner. Those residents leaving the University residence halls must use Banner to change their local address.
Vacancy Option and Consolidation
If a vacancy occurs in a room and no other student is available for assignment to that space, the area/hall office may send the remaining resident(s) a Vacancy Option form offering four choices:
1. Retain the room and pay an increased rate for the reduced occupancy of the room (i.e., two residents in a triple would retain the room at double occupancy and pay an increased rate.) This total rate is determined by the number of weeks remaining in the semester.
2. Move to a specific room with a specific person.
3. Have a specific person move into the room.
4. Retain the room at its current capacity and agree to be assigned a new roommate(s) at any time.
Residents must return the Vacancy Option form within three business days to the area/hall office indicating the choice selected. If a resident does not respond to the Vacancy Option form, the resident director will determine the next step.
Any vacancy remains under the jurisdiction of University Housing for assignment, reassignment, or room changes. A resident of a room with a vacancy who in any way discourages the selection or moving in of a prospective resident is subject to administrative review of assignment or contract status and may be required to move.

Break Periods and Break Housing

Break Periods
The University Housing Contract covers that period when the University is in session. The undergraduate residence halls close for three periods during the academic year.
Residents of Sherman Hall, Daniels Hall, and the Global Crossroads living-learning community in the Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls (PAR) are not required to leave during breaks because these communities are open during break periods. There is no additional room charge as the cost is included in residents’ contracts.
Leaving for Break
Each resident is required to complete a series of tasks prior to departing for the break periods. Notices will be posted on each floor, and specific information will be sent to residents outlining these procedures.
Break Housing
Limited Break Housing accommodations may be available to residents at an additional charge. All students who wish to reside in a designated Break Housing hall during a break period must sign a Break Housing Contract. Any student without a break housing contract who accesses a building during a break period will be assessed the full break housing charge amount. In addition, any student who accesses a hall without a Break Housing contract will also be referred to either the Residential Life judicial process or to the University Police for trespassing.


When a resident decides to move to another room/suite, cancel their contract and move out, or move- out at the end of the academic year, they must follow the check-out procedures. You may schedule an appointment with a staff member to complete the check-out. A staff member will complete a room inspection following check-out and assess any damages to be billed. Any personal belongings, valuables, or property left in the halls or on the premises after the expiration or termination of the current contract shall be considered abandoned property and may be retained by the residence hall as its property or may be disposed of through sale, donation or any other manner at the sole discretion of the residence hall staff. All proceeds derived from the sale or other disposal of such property shall be the property of the University.
Failure to complete check-out procedures may result in a $25 improper check-out charge. Failure to check out by the specified time of hall closing may result in a charge of $25 per hour.

University Housing Policies

Nondiscrimination Policy

The commitment of the University of Illinois to the most fundamental principles of academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity requires that decisions involving students and employees be based on individual merit and be free from invidious discrimination in all its forms. It is the policy of the University not to engage in discrimination or harassment against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, disability, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, order of protection status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation including gender identity, arrest record status, unfavorable discharge from the military, or status as a protected veteran and to comply with all federal and state nondiscrimination, equal opportunity, and affirmative action laws, orders, and regulations. This nondiscrimination policy applies to admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in the University programs and activities. Complaints of invidious discrimination prohibited by University policy are to be resolved within existing University procedures. For additional information on the equal opportunity, affirmative action, and harassment policies of the University, please The Office of Diversity, Equity and Access (ODEA). For additional information on Title IX, ADA, or 504, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at the Title IX and Disability Office.
-Illinois Student Code, 1-108(a)-(d)

Sexual Misconduct Policy

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (“University”) is committed to providing a safe and welcoming campus environment free from discrimination based on sex, which includes sexual assault, sexual exploitation, stalking, sexual harassment, dating violence, and domestic violence (collectively referred to as sexual misconduct). The University prohibits and will not tolerate sexual misconduct because such behavior violates the University’s institutional values, adversely impacts the University’s community interest, and interferes with the University’s mission. The University also prohibits retaliation against any person who, in good faith, reports or discloses a violation of this policy, files a complaint, and/or otherwise participates in an investigation, proceeding, complaint, or hearing under this policy.
Once the University becomes aware of an incident of sexual misconduct, the University will promptly and effectively respond in a manner designed to eliminate the misconduct, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects.
-Illinois Student Code, 1-111(a)

Alcohol and Controlled Substances Policies

For additional information on these policies, refer to Illinois Student Code, 1-305; 1-306; 1-307, 1-308

1. Empty alcohol containers: As a practical matter of enforcement and in order to avoid disagreements regarding violations of the alcohol policy and health hazards, empty alcoholic beverage containers are prohibited within the residence halls.
2. Possession/consumption of alcohol: Underage possession/consumption of alcohol is prohibited.
3. Public Consumption: No one, even those over the legal drinking age, may consume alcohol in a public space (such as a lounge, hallway or common area).
4. Presence of Minors (under the age of 18): No one of legal drinking age may possess/consume alcohol in their room with minors present. Anyone under the legal drinking age must immediately vacate any space where alcohol is present.
5. Size Restrictions: Alcohol containers, possessed by the over the age of 21, may not exceed one gallon, four liters, or one twelve-pack of beer. Kegs are prohibited in residence halls.
6. Controlled substances: Possession/consumption of controlled substances and/or their paraphernalia is prohibited. Sale, manufacture, or distribution of controlled substances is grounds for termination of your housing contract.
7. The consumption of cannabis creates an unsettling odor which creates an unacceptable community disturbance. All residents are responsible for the actions of the guests that they host in their room, especially surrounding cannabis consumption prior to arrival.
8. Tobacco: All University of Illinois campus facilities and grounds are strictly smoke and tobacco-free. This includes tobacco for smoking and/or chewing. For specifics on this policy, please see the official policy: Effective July 1, 2019, the state of Illinois has raised the legal age to possess and consume tobacco to 21 years of age. This is a complete prohibition of any smoking products and paraphernalia (defined as any device used in the consumption of tobacco). These materials include, but are not limited to: hookahs, electronic or e-cigarettes, vaporizers/vapes, or juuls.
9. Substance-Free Hall: Snyder Hall is a community for residents interested in living in an environment free from alcohol (even if 21 years of age), chemicals, or drugs (other than prescribed medications). While a substance---free area does not change existing University policies that pertain to substances on campus, residents of this hall are committed to healthy habits and do not use tobacco products, alcohol, and other drugs inside the hall or on campus.

Community Policies

1. Community Disruption: Unreasonable actions which disrupt typical living activities of the day are prohibited.
2. Complicity Policy: Students who are present during a policy violation, even if they are not directly participating, may be seen as complicit or consenting to the violation. If present when a policy violation occurs, students should remove themselves from the area and/or report the violation to University Housing staff immediately. Case Coordinators reserve the right to find students responsible for complicity if they fail to remove themselves from the location of the incident.
3. Courtesy Hours: Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Always be considerate of others and comply with a request for quiet. If a person asks another individual to be quieter, residents are asked to be courteous and respect the request. Speakers, TVs, and musical instruments should be operated with regard for the rights of others.
4. Quiet Hours: It is important that residents respect the rights of others when they study, sleep, listen to music, and socialize. Quiet Hours are 11pm-10am on weekdays (Sun-Th) and 12am-10am on weekends (Fri-Sat) in the undergraduate halls, and 24-hours in the graduate upper-division halls. During quiet hours, noise in any room/suite should not be audible outside that room/suite’s closed door. Quiet Hours are also enforced in the floor lounges and outdoor courtyard areas. At the end of each semester, quiet hours are extended to 24 hours per day in all halls. This action fosters the additional quiet necessary to prepare for final exams.
5. Musical Instruments: Musical instruments, especially amplified musical instruments or particularly loud instruments (e.g., brass instruments or drums), may be played only in designated areas or practice rooms. Check with your hall/area office for specific permissible campus locations.
6. Damage and/or Vandalism: For additional information on these policies, refer to Illinois Student Code, 1-302.k: It is expected that you treat University property and the property of others with respect. It violates the Student Code when a person damages or breaks property, intentionally or unintentionally, or defaces or destroys bulletin boards or other displays.
7. Removal of Lounge Furnishings: All hall and floor lounges, and shared living spaces, are furnished for the use of all residents. Furnishings (chairs, tables, lamps, cushions, couches, etc) must remain in their original locations. They are not intended for personal use in individual resident rooms. Floor, main lounge, or shared living space furniture found in resident rooms will be removed and the resident(s) will be billed a $40 relocation fee per item.
8. Use of Public Spaces for Private Purposes: Sleeping or other seemingly private activities in public spaces is prohibited.
9. Non-Compliance: For additional information on these policies, refer to Illinois Student Code, 1-302.g & 1-302.h: All students need to comply with the reasonable requests of University staff.
10. Community Standards: At the beginning of each semester, the resident advisors host a Community Responsibility Meeting and each community creates Community Standards. This is a way for residents to have an impact upon their own living environment. Floor members collectively and collaboratively determine their floor lounge use, standard of cleanliness in the restrooms and trash rooms, how to resolve floor or neighbor conflicts, etc. These Standards will be reviewed throughout the year to ensure that the guidelines are being followed and to adjust the Standards as needed.

Dining Policies

1. Access: Patrons are required to use their i-card or a meal ticket to access any dining hall. Attempting to enter without providing proper payment or attempting to enter through a marked exit is prohibited.
2. Carry Out: Residents eating in the dining halls may take a choice of: one piece of fruit, one cookie, or one ice cream cone and a non-dairy beverage in a thermos mug (up to 22 oz.) from the dining hall. Everything else must be consumed before you leave the dining area. A $10 charge may be assessed for any item above the one item provision. Orange on Green at the Illini Union is a designated carry-out location and students may use a Classic Meal to select multiple items for eat-in or carry-out.
3. Use of your Meal Plan by Others: Your meal plan is non-transferable and cannot be used by others. Meal plan holders may be asked to show photo ID. You may swipe guests in under your meal plan, but you may not give your i-card to others to use your plan in your absence.
4. Use of Classic Meals: Classic Meals may only be used once per meal period. For example, you cannot use a Classic Meal at 7 a.m. for breakfast and again at 8 a.m. for breakfast.
5. Appropriate Attire: No one shall enter a dining location shirtless, with bare feet, or in stocking feet.
6. Refunds: No refund is made for unused meals, absences, or lost passes.
7. Meal Plan Changes: Meal plans may be changed before the contract begins, or you may wait until after you arrive on campus. See the Meal Plan Changes page for deadlines. Visit the Housing website to change your meal plan: submit the change online. You may roll over up to one week's worth of your old plan's Cafe Credits to your new plan. Note: Students who move from an undergraduate residence hall to a graduate hall after the meal plan cancellation deadline must keep their meal plan until the next meal plan change period.
8. Café Credit Rollover: You may roll over a maximum of one week’s worth of your plan’s Café Credits into the following week, to a maximum of the previous week’s Café Credits plus the current week’s Café Credits. Rollover of applicable credits will occur automatically.
9. Prorated Meal Weeks: Standard meal weeks begin on a Sunday. At various times of the year when the meal week begins on a different day (e.g., opening week in the fall, and after some break periods) your meal plan is prorated. This means you will have fewer meals during the week than you would in a regular week during the school year. When your meal plan rate was set, prorated weeks were already figured in (so you did not pay for them). Prorating is calculated by dividing your meal plan into sevenths, representing seven days of the week.
10. Board-Only Meal Plans for Residents of Graduate Halls: Residents in Daniels and Sherman halls do not have a mandatory board plan as part of their contract but can choose from one of six meal plans. This is an academic year contract that can only be cancelled before the dates listed in the contract. Six Classic Meals and Six Classic Meals + 25 Café Credits plans are not available to residents of the University undergraduate residence halls. Students who move from an undergraduate residence hall to a graduate hall after the meal plan change deadline must keep their meal plan until the next meal plan change period.
11. Responsible Use: Residents should take what they want and enjoy what they take, but they should not waste food. Dining Services does not receive any subsidy from the University or the federal or state government. It is funded entirely by resident payments. In order to keep the cost of meal plans and dining services down, please consider the following:

  • Avoid wasting food; please take only what you can eat.
  • Care for your dining area and avoid breakage of dinnerware.
  • Ensure guests pay for their meals.
  • If you need to borrow something, please talk to the unit manager. (There is a $10 charge for each unauthorized item removed from the dining room.)

12. Food Credit for Absences: If a student is absent from the residence halls for seven or more consecutive days because of illness, student teaching, religious observance or a university field trip, residents may request a dining service credit. Residents should notify the office before leaving for teaching or a field trip or after return from an illness. There is no dining service during university vacation periods.
13. Public Health Requirements: Illinois Public Health regulations do not permit food prepared outside the dining service area (including salad dressing) to be brought into or consumed in the dining room.
14. Sick Tray: If a student is ill, a roommate or a friend may obtain a sick tray for the ill student. The ill student should call his or her dining hall’s main office during meal hours and provide the ill student’s name, UIN (found on the i-card), and name of the friend who will be picking up the tray. Please call at least 60 minutes prior to the requested pick-up time. A Classic Meal or equivalent credits will be deducted for the meal.
15. Religious Observances: Residents are encouraged to prepare to-go meals, in disposable containers upon request or through the Good2Go reusable container program, for meals that occur during an observance instead of a food-cost credit. Notify a supervisor as you enter the dining room, and your ID number will be entered into the access system to deduct your carry-out meal from your meal plan. One container will be provided each for cold and hot food items. It is the student's responsibility to keep the food, taken as to-go meals for religious observances, at 40˚F or below for cold food and 165˚F or above for hot food according to food safety guidelines.

Residents with a meal plan who choose not to dine in the dining halls during a religious observance that exceeds seven consecutive days must email their full name and UIN to to be credited for their missed meals. Residents requesting this credit option will not utilize their meal plan during the observance and should see the credit posted on their student account within seven business days of the observance ending. Reimbursements for missed meals will only be credited in full week increments at $60/week based on an average raw food cost.

Guest Policies

1.Responsibility for Guests: You are responsible for the actions of your guests, whether they are University of Illinois students or not. A guest is defined as anyone without valid i-card access or keys to that hall, floor, wing, and/or room. Every guest must be hosted by a resident, and the host is responsible for informing guests about applicable University and residence hall policies.
2. Identification: All guests must present proper identification when requested by University staff. Failure or inability to do so will result in the guest being removed from the building and/or campus community.
3. Use of Building Amenities: Nonresidents (even when hosted) are prohibited to use certain residence hall areas such as laundry rooms or ice machines.
4. Escort Policy: All people who do not reside within the community must be escorted by a community member at all times.
5. Overnight Guests: All guests staying overnight must have approval of all residents in the room. Guests may not stay more than 3 consecutive nights. Guests may not sleep in any public space within University Housing.
6. Restricted Guest Policy: When ordered by the Director of Housing, University Housing may enforce a restricted visitation period when it is deemed that non-University guests are prohibited in University residence halls (such as during the weekend known as "Unofficial St. Patrick's Day). Such a period would be in response to a critical incident for campus safety.
7. Non-Visitation Community: Here the community members agree to not have visitors of the opposite gender in their rooms at any time. This living option is available in specifically designated rooms in Evans Hall.

Prohibited Activities

1. Bike Storage: Bikes, scooters and motor driven cycles must remain outside at all times. Storage of bicycles within the halls is prohibited because of lack of space in the residence halls, potential damage to buildings, and the blockage of escape routes during a fire or emergency.
2. Cellular Phones, Video, and Virtual Assistants: Any use of a cellular phone or virtual assistant technology (such as Alexa or Google Home), including camera or video functions, is strictly prohibited in bathrooms or bedrooms where privacy is reasonably expected. Roommates should discuss and agree upon the use of in-room virtual assistant technology.
3. Commercial Activity: University Housing facilities/resources may not be used for commercial activity or door-to-door solicitation unless it is an approved project associated with a living-learning community. Sales representatives cannot make presentations in floor/main lounges or other hall areas. University Housing facilities cannot be used to advertise businesses or their presentations. This restriction includes sales representatives or demonstrations involving magazines, beauty products, insurance, home products, wholesale orders, or services for profit, such as hair styling, etc. Chalking of sidewalks is prohibited in areas where weather would not wash the content away.
4. Gambling: No form of gambling (e.g., card games for money, sports pools, casino games, lotteries, etc.) may be conducted on University property.
5. Laser Pointers: Laser pointers are prohibited in or around the residence halls. The only exception is for classroom instruction or formal programs/presentations taking place in hall facilities.
6. Pets: Only fish are permitted as pets in the residence halls. All other pets are prohibited and if found in the hall, they will be immediately removed.
7. Posting Policy: Posting items without permission from University Housing is prohibited.
8. Theft: Theft of property or services from another person or from the University is prohibited.
9. Sports in the Hall: The use of any sports equipment (balls, Frisbees, boomerangs, hockey pucks, skates, skateboards, in-line skates, footballs, etc.) is prohibited inside residence halls due to the risk of personal injury, damage to the residence halls or individual property, and disruption within the living environment.
10. Window Screens: Screens should remain closed and attached to room and lounge windows at all times. Items should never be thrown from a residence hall window. If a screen is purposely unfastened, it will be reinstalled at a $20 charge per window. If a window screen is missing, it will be replaced at a charge of $65.If strong wind, rain, snow, or an external projectile damages a window/screen, submit a Request for Services form at the area/hall office to report the damage. Missing or unrepairable screens will be replaced at a cost for a new screen plus installation. For aesthetic and safety reasons, students may not hang, attach, or place anything on the outside of any residence hall or University Housing structure (including window sills).
11. Wireless Routers: All halls have Wi-Fi. Wireless routers are prohibited in student rooms.
12. Construction: Installation of panels, dividers, lofts, shelves, and bunks is prohibited. Residents may not place boards or weights on radiator covers or wall-mounted bookshelves and may not place beds on top of other furniture. Hot tubs are prohibited.
13. Prohibited Possessions: The following items are prohibited in the residence halls: blow torches, bottled propane, candles, fragrance pots, fireworks, fuel or fuel containers, halogen lamps, incense, open flame, space heaters, unapproved cooking appliances (including crock pots and insta-pots) , vaporizers, or Wi-Fi enabled locks or cameras on doors.
14. Weapons: Possession and/or storage of weapons is prohibited in the University Housing facilities. This includes but is not limited to: BB guns, paint ball guns, pellet rifles or pistols, switchblades, slingshots, bombs, nun chucks, items that imitate weapons, or other devices containing an explosive or caustic substance.

Fire Safety Policies

For additional information on these policies, refer to Illinois Student Code, 1-310
1. Tampering with smoke detectors, intentionally causing false fire alarms, hanging items from sprinkler heads, propping fire and smoke doors open, discharging a fire extinguisher, or tampering with other safety equipment can end in personal tragedy and may also result in criminal charges, fines, University disciplinary action, and/or termination of a resident's housing contract.
2. Actions which could result in fire such as pranks, intentional igniting of materials, or unintended carelessness in which a fire could occur are prohibited.
3. Fire extinguishers will be charged, available, and operable at all times. Tampering with fire extinguishers is a serious offense and could lead to your dismissal from the University.
4. Whether it is a real alarm, false alarm, or a fire drill, everyone is required by law to vacate the building and remain out until the building is cleared by first responders.
5. Appliances with exposed heating elements (such as toasters, toaster-ovens, and electric grills) are prohibited.
6. Smoke detectors may not be covered, disconnected, or removed. Any tampering will result in a
$250 charge per occurrence.
7. Due to the high risk of fire, halogen lamps are prohibited in the residence halls.
8. Incense is prohibited in the halls.
9. Smoke or fog producing devices are prohibited in the halls.
10. Hanging things from sprinkler heads is prohibited. This could cause unnecessary water discharge and you could be held liable for damage to University/private property.
11. All room, suite, floor, and outside security doors are fitted with self-closing hinges. These mechanisms help prevent the rapid spread of fire by ensuring doors are properly closed. Residents may not remove these hinges from doors. Security doors are locked at all times. Propping security doors weakens the security for all residents and is prohibited. Security doors are cored to accept room keys if the i-card system is down.
12. Students should follow these expectations for fire-safe decorations:

  • Use fire-resistant materials in student room/suites and at social events.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
  • Do not place electrical cords under carpet, through doorways or windows, or behind pillows.
  • Provide adequate safety lighting at all social events.
  • Do not obstruct access to exits and fire extinguishers.
  • Natural, live trees are prohibited.
  • Decorations may not be hung from ceilings.

13. Candle Usage at Approved Events
In order to guarantee the safety of all residents and ensure compatibility with existing building fire detection and suppression systems, prior approval by the Director of Residential Life for University Housing is required for ceremonies and events that will utilize candles or other open flames. To receive approval, the resident must:
a. Properly request University Housing space at
b. Indicate in the setup instructions section of the space reservation request that they wish to utilize candles for the event.
c. Check out a portable fire extinguisher from an Area Office or Front Desk prior to the event.
d. Ensure the fire extinguisher is always present during the event and return the extinguisher at the conclusion of the event.
e. Ensure candles on dining tables are only used when in enclosed standard glass containers and remain stationary and monitored once lit.
f. Ensure lighted candles are not used for any activity that involves carrying or holding the candle by a person.
g. Clean and properly remove all wax, matches, etc. from the space upon completion of the event.
University Housing will only grant a candle or other open flame exception for common areas. No exceptions will be granted for resident rooms.
14. Approval Process for Smudging and Pipe Use
In accordance with the Federal Religious Freedom Act, 42 U.S.S sections 1996 and 1996a, smudging and pipe ceremonies are allowed in university housing owned and operated spaces including but not limited to individual residential rooms, outdoor spaces, community spaces, and apartments with prior submission of an exception form, meeting with University Housing, and completion of an understanding agreement. Approval by University Housing is required before any event can take place. Registrations can be done at:
Smudging is the use of smoke (generally from organic sources such as sage, sweet-grass, or cedar) in spiritual, religious, prayer, or faith practices most commonly used by Native Peoples. Pipe ceremonies is the use of tobacco in spiritual, religious, prayer, or faith practices most commonly used by Native Peoples.
While the University of Illinois is a smoke-free campus and is committed to prompting a smoke and tobacco free environment for all students, employees, and visitors to campus, we must take into consideration the deeply held cultural beliefs of our Native American students, employees, and visitors to University Housing spaces. Reasonable efforts should be taken to reduce or eliminate the community impact of such smoke within the area being smudged whenever possible.

Access Policies

1. i-cards: Each resident living in the residence halls is issued access through their i-card, which will permit entrance to their hall and their floor security door. Residents should never lend their i-card to another person. There is a $20 replacement charge for lost i-cards. The i-card is University property and must be shown upon request to any staff member, including resident directors, resident advisors, desk clerks, dining room staff, office staff, or other residence hall employees. A student may possess only one i-card. Anyone possessing more than one i- card is subject to disciplinary action. A University staff member may confiscate the extra i-card or an i-card that is in the possession of a guest. If a lost i-card is found, students should return it to the nearest hall/area office.
2. Excessive Temporary Cards: The use of temporary access cards are loaned to a resident to permit access to their residence hall and access to their meal plan during the span that the original i-Card is unavailable. All students are provided three (3) complimentary temporary access cards each semester. Temporary access cards are active for a 72-hour period and must be returned to a desk when reactivating the original i-Card. Beginning on the 4th request, a $20 fee will be assessed to the student’s account and will increase by $20 with each subsequent request.
3. Keys: Loaning a room/suite key to another person or duplicating a room/suite key is prohibited. Students should keep their room/suite door locked at all times. Keys found in possession of someone other than the designated resident will be confiscated. There is a $50 per key charge for lost keys, and there may be an additional charge for lock replacement.
4. Excessive Loan Keys: The use of back-up keys to loan to a resident is a service to assist when a resident temporarily misplaces their room key. All residents are provided three (3) complimentary key loans each semester. The loan key must be returned to the front desk within 24 hours or a lock change will be issued at a cost of $50 to the resident. Beginning on the 4th request, a $20 fee will be assessed to the student’s account and will increase by $20 with each subsequent request.
5. Unauthorized entry: Students are prohibited to enter places that a reasonable person would know not to enter without appropriate permissions. Such places might include, but are not limited to the following: mechanical rooms, roofs, dining kitchens, other student rooms, storage closets, construction sites, loading docks, or behind residence hall desks.
6. Bathroom Usage Guidelines: All residents and their guests may only use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accommodations


Requesting Accommodations

If you believe you require housing accommodations due to a documented disability-related condition, you will need to register with the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) in addition to submitting your housing application. DRES is responsible for providing services to students with disabilities and is available to consult with other areas of campus regarding ADA accessibility issues. For further information on how to register with DRES, visit or call (217) 333-4603 or (217) 689-0564 Video Relay System (VRS).
NOTE: DRES will not share housing-related letters of support with the Housing Information Office (University Housing) directly. It is the student’s responsibility to provide a copy of the housing-related letter of support to the Housing Information Office. The housing-related letter of support plays an important part in the assignments process.

Personal Assistants

Students who require a personal assistant (PA) and are NOT part of the Beckwith Program must employ and provide training for their PA staff regarding their specific care needs. Ongoing PA training from each student is critical to the delivery of safe and effective PA support services.

We strongly encourage students to start the PA interviewing/hiring process as early as possible. For new, incoming residents, we recommend hiring PAs early enough to submit the PA registration forms by August 1 every year.

A PA must have: a current employment contract with the resident; completed PA Registration Form; and a successful criminal background check conducted by University Housing before being granted access to any University Housing property. A background check may take 4–8 weeks to complete

If students need Prox access or general access for their PA, they should send an email to the Housing Information Office to make a request. The student employing the PA who needs a Prox Card will get a $10 charge on their student account for each PA needing a Prox Card.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

University Housing, in accordance with ADA and Illinois 775 ILCS 30/ or “White Cane Law,” will provide an exception to the University Housing pet policy for residence hall/ apartment facilities for residents who present a documented need for a service or emotional support animal accommodation. The Service/Emotional Support Animal Policy (Word) outlines the responsibilities of the residents who are granted approval for service or emotional support animals in living, dining, or public areas within University Housing. Please read the policy very carefully as the responsibilities of the student/handler/owner are very important.

Emotional Support Animals
Students who require an Emotional Support Animal must complete the Emotional Support Animal Registration Form to ensure that their animal is properly registered with University Housing. Be prepared to provide types of vaccinations with dates and provider contact information. If the Emotional Support Animal does not require vaccinations, please submit a letter from a licensed veterinarian stating as such.

If you intend to submit an Emotional Support Animal Registration Form, you will first need to register with the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES). DRES is responsible for collecting medical documentation and providing students with letters of support for emotional support animals.

The student is responsible for submitting the letter of support to the Housing Information Office. For further information on how to register with DRES, visit or call (217) 333-4603 or (217) 689-0564 Video Relay System (VRS).

Emotional Support Animal Registration Forms for new animals should be submitted before the beginning of each semester. Emotional Support Animals should not be on campus until approval is received from the Housing Information Office. A resident who has an unapproved animal may be referred for Student Conduct. For returning residents, an Emotional Support Animal Registration Form should be submitted by August 1 every year if you would like to have the animal continue to reside with you in University Housing.
Service Animals
If you intend to bring a Service Animal to live with you in the residence halls, please complete a Service Animal Information Record for emergency purposes. The information will allow University Housing staff to alert emergency personnel of the location of the service animal in case of fire/evacuation/emergency. The Information Record also allows us to alert supervisors in case staff members have allergies. Service animals are determined by the type of animal and whether they have been individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities.
For returning residents, a Service Animal Information Record should be submitted by August 1 every year if you anticipate the Service Animal residing with you in University Housing.

Your Room/Suite


Residents may use a reasonable number of UL-approved electronic devices in their room/suite so long as they do not present a fire hazard or consume an excess of power. Devices with an exposed heating element are considered a fire hazard. The following appliances are permitted in the residence halls:
1. Alarm clock
2. Blender
3. Computer
4. Curling iron, electric razor, and hairdryer
5. Desk/study lamp
6. Electric blanket
7. Electric coffee maker/tea maker
8. Fan
9. Microwave (up to 800 watts)—one per room
10. Popcorn popper
11. Refrigerator (no more than 4.4 cubic feet)—one per room
12. Video game consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, Wii, etc.)
13. Stereo system and/or speakers
14. TV


Cooking meals is only permitted in designated hall or area kitchens. Hall kitchenettes are not intended for regular meal preparation because they cannot accommodate the number of residents in each hall.
Use of microwave ovens, popcorn poppers, or other approved electrical appliances is permitted in resident rooms/suites for preparation of snacks. One micro-fridge unit is provided in all Sherman Hall and Daniels Hall rooms. You may not prepare meals in your room/suite, as it is a violation of state health codes. If you do, you may be charged up to $50 per occurrence or lose your housing contract. Small appliances with exposed heating elements (such as toasters, toaster-ovens, and electric grills) are prohibited in resident rooms at any time.

Extension Cords and Power Strips

Power strips with surge suppressants are strongly encouraged for all electrical needs, especially large appliances such as refrigerators, computers, and stereos. Power strips must have a minimum rating of ETL and a maximum 15 amp self-contained circuit breaker. This will reduce the risk of a tripped circuit breaker on the floor in the event of a power surge. Do not plug multiple power strips into one another or plug an extension cord into a power strip.


Furniture provided in rooms needs to remain in the assigned room. You are responsible for all the furniture in your room/suite and will be held accountable for any damages incurred. Extra furniture may not be removed by residents from double rooms rented as singles or triples rented as doubles.


Most halls have bunk-able bed units. If residents want beds bunked, debunked, or bi-leveled, they must submit a request through MyHousing. Both roommates should submit the request in order for it to be honored. To prevent accidents and damage to the furniture, Building Service Workers must perform this task for residents. Unauthorized bed changes will result in a $30 charge per room plus a charge for any damages that may result. Bed rails are available for those residents sleeping in the upper bed of bunk beds, and bed extenders are available for residents who require a longer sleeping surface. You can also request these through MyHousing if you would like to check out a bed rail or bed extender for the year.


Portable window air conditioners are not permitted in University Housing. Halls in which the University has installed window units have had the necessary electrical capacity increased to accommodate the additional electrical load. Units in Hopkins Hall are combination units for cooling and heating. Operating these units in other buildings (such as Babcock, Blaisdell, Carr, Saunders, Scott, Snyder, and Weston) during winter weather could provide a safety hazard or seriously affect the life of the unit. During the span from Thanksgiving break to spring break (or later based upon weather), the provided circuitry for the window air-conditioning unit is turned off. Students are directed to not plug the air conditioner into any other outlet in order to bypass the restriction. If you would like to use your window air conditioner during this span, please see your resident director to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Portable Air Coolers

Portable air coolers are permitted in non-air-conditioned residence halls (Barton, Lundgren, Taft, Van Doren, Leonard, and Shelden). All portable air coolers should not exceed 350 watts. Limit one portable air cooler per resident. Portable air coolers should not require ventilation through a window. Both portable air coolers should be plugged into a single power strip with a self-contained circuit breaker. The power strip must have a minimum rating of ETL and a maximum 15-amp self-contained circuit breaker.

Personalizing Your Room/Suite

Adding your personal touches to your room/suite will help to make it your own. We encourage you to display decorations, posters, or pictures as long as they do not deface or damage the surface or structure of the room/suite. Please do not use tacks or nails in the walls, bookcases, doors, desks, or beds, but rather use poster putty or poster tape provided at the beginning of the year. Keep in mind that curtain rods or blind rods will not support the weight of plants. You may use additional furniture of your own in your room/suite as long as your roommate(s)/suitemate(s) agree to this arrangement. Due to limited storage space, no University furniture may be removed from resident rooms/suites. Carpet tape is difficult to remove and destroys the tiles. Please do not use this on your room/suite carpet.

Room/Suite Alterations

Each room will be inspected before, during, and/or after resident occupancy, and residents will be charged for any damages. The maintenance staff schedules repair work and determines the actual repair or replacement costs. Only maintenance staff members can paint or repair University property. Normal wear and tear will be considered in assessing costs for materials and labor.

Room/Suite Entry

Housing staff members may enter your room/suite to perform routine building service work, maintenance functions, or life-safety inspections. Notices of scheduled maintenance will be posted in advance on floor bulletin boards, on room/suite doors, or in resident mailboxes. Maintenance and Building Service Workers will lock your room when they leave, even if the room/suite was unlocked when they entered. A University Housing staff member may enter resident rooms if danger to life, safety, health, or property is suspected. Furthermore, staff may open your room/suite to law enforcement officers who are in pursuit of a fleeing suspect or who present an applicable warrant. No other third parties (including parents, siblings, romantic partners, etc.) will be allowed access to your room/suite by a staff member. Additionally, entry into your room/suite may be authorized if a community disturbance is originating from a room, such as a loud alarm clock or stereo, and you are not present to address the problem. You will be notified if a staff member enters your room/suite under these circumstances. If any unattended burning odors (including, but not limited to, food, cigarettes, or other tobacco-like substances) can be detected from the hallway, staff members may enter your room/suite to ensure that a life safety situation does not exist.

Room/Suite Inspections

During announced periods and during vacations, staff members may inspect your room/suite to assess possible fire and life-safety hazards. Damages in your room will also be noted during these inspections. Staff do not open drawers or search through personal belongings. They will report apparent violations of regulations or statutes to the appropriate office. Both you and your roommate(s)/suitemate(s) will be billed for damages, missing furniture, or irregularities encountered in the room/suite if the staff cannot determine who is responsible.
Life-safety room/suite inspections are conducted early in the fall semester and again as needed by the resident advisor or Housing Facilities staff. Staff will assess the hazards or life-safety concerns associated with the following items:
1. Extension cords: damaged, overloaded, routed under carpet, not UL-approved, etc.
2. Overloaded electrical outlets: UL approved power strips with circuit breakers should be used
3. Refrigerators: less than 4.4 cubic feet, only one per room permitted, must be plugged directly into wall outlet
4. Hazardous cooking and household appliances: microwaves are the only cooking appliances permitted; halogen lamps and space heaters are prohibited
5. Flammable liquids: storage of kerosene, fuel, or fuel containers prohibited
6. Self-closing door hinges: may not be removed from student room and hallway doors
7. Excessive combustible materials: excess trash or recyclables; ceilings, smoke detectors, walls or windows covered with drapes or posters; excessive holiday light strings; etc.
8. Lofts: lofts that were not provided by University Housing are prohibited
9. Furnishings in contact with room heaters
10. Smoke detector functioning and not tampered with: covered, disconnected, or removed
11. Cigarettes, candles, incense, vaporizers: use is prohibited in the residence halls
In addition, the following items will be checked for compliance with residence hall policies:
12. Pets: fish are the only permitted pets (fish tank must be 5 gallons or less)
13. Lounge furnishings: for public use, not individual room/suite use
14. Highway/street/construction signs: considered stolen property and will be reported to the University Police
15. Alcohol containers: may not be used for decoration even if empty.
If problems are identified, residents will be notified and will have three (3) days to correct the concern. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action and fines.

Personal Property Protection

If you have not already done so, check the provisions of any family homeowner or personal property insurance you may have for coverage of your personal property in the residence halls. University insurance does not cover students' personal possessions. We recommend engraving all valuables with your state abbreviation and driver's license number for identification purposes. Doing so can assist police in tracing stolen items nationwide. If you decide to bring expensive equipment to campus, make sure to inventory and record serial numbers for your records.
Students are responsible for the security of their own property. The University and the residence halls do not accept responsibility for the theft, damage, or other loss of money, valuables, or personal effects in or on University or residence hall property, including storage areas and parking lots. Check the personal property section of your home insurance policy for coverage in the event of such a loss.
Residents are strongly encouraged to acquire renter's insurance to cover their possessions.
To reduce thefts from occurring:
1. lock the room door at all times (including when showering)
2. engrave property with a driver's license number
3. confront strangers or unescorted guests on the floor
4. call a staff member when something or someone seems suspicious
5. report any theft promptly to University Police and the Residential Life staff
During the semester, any personal belongings left in laundry rooms, bathrooms, or public spaces will be discarded, recycled, or donated to a charity.

Safety and Security


Deliveries in the Urbana residence halls must be received by the desk for processing. All deliveries in the Ikenberry Commons halls must be received by the SDRP Package Station. Deliveries may not be left outside the halls, in main lobbies or lounges, or at unattended offices.
Elevators are equipped with sensitive safety devices in order to protect the passengers. Tampering with elevators can be extremely dangerous and expensive and will result in charges and disciplinary action.
Areas of Rescue Assistance
Persons with physical disabilities who require assistance during an emergency (i.e., fire alarm, tornado warning) should exit the building as directed if they are on the first floor when the emergency occurs. If on an upper floor, the person should go to the nearest stairwell and have a friend or staff member notify rescue personnel that they need assistance. Rescue personnel will then evacuate the person to a safe location.
Fire Alarms and Fire Drills
For resident safety, a fire drill will be conducted early in each semester. When a fire alarm sounds, residents should follow the instructions on the back of their room/suite door. Fire drills, false alarms, and genuine fire alarms are indistinguishable. Whenever the fire alarm sounds everyone MUST evacuate the building. Even in a building designed to be resistant to fire, a small wastebasket fire can quickly fill an area with smoke and deadly gases. Smoke is the major cause of death from fires within residence halls. For this reason, residents should be certain to close their room door and windows when evacuating in order to retard the spread of smoke. Hallway and stairwell fire doors should be closed at all times. Residents cannot re-enter the building until the Residential Life/Housing staff, Fire Department, or University Police Department gives an “all clear” signal. Residents who fail to evacuate a residence hall building during a fire alarm or who do not follow the directives of fire, police, or residence hall staff will be referred to the University discipline system for judicial action. Obstructing a doorway, exit, stairwell, or room/suite door is a serious safety hazard.

March through October is the “tornado season” in central Illinois. The community alarm is tested at 10 a.m. on the first Tuesday of each month. Residents who fail to follow the directives of fire, police, or residence hall staff during a tornado warning can be referred for judicial action. Informational programs are held during the academic year to familiarize residents with tornado emergency procedures.

University Housing Student Conduct System

The University of Illinois residence halls have specific rules and regulations, as well as general guidelines of good citizenship and responsible behavior. Students should understand that by virtue of enrollment, all students enter into a formal agreement with the University of Illinois that they will abide by the institution's rules and regulations and will observe standards expected of students.

Living in a University Housing residence hall provides the opportunity to learn first-hand about citizenship and helps students to develop an understanding of and appreciation for life in a democratic society. In order to accomplish this, an atmosphere of civility, cooperation, respect, and open communication is necessary between and among student residents and staff. All residents are expected to:

Abide by all hall and University regulations. Show respect and sensitivity for the needs of others. Support open communication that enhances the residence hall living-learning atmosphere. Provide positive empathy and support for the enforcement of rules and regulations. Help to sustain community pride and develop a sense of respect for the physical facilities of the hall.

The primary publication outlining University regulations is the Student Code. Students may obtain a copy of the Code at the Turner Student Services Building, 610 E. John Street, Champaign, or online at

University Housing Student Conduct System

Under certain criteria, a case coordinator may elect to not open a formal conduct investigation if the student agrees to participate in a meeting. In that meeting, the student must actively engage in the conversation. If the student attends the meeting and engages in the discussion, the coordinator will close the case without a finding and not disciplinary history will have been created. If the student fails to respond to the meeting request, the behavior will be referred to the University conduct process.

The Conduct Process

It is important to remember that the faculty are ultimately responsible for the campus conduct system. The conduct system is designed to protect the rights and property of the University and of all persons within the University community. The mission of the University Housing judicial process is to hold
students responsible for their behavior within the living community. This is done by applying appropriate disciplinary sanctions and assigning educational conditions to these sanctions.
Staff or residents may initiate the judicial process in the University residence halls when an Incident Report (IR) form is completed documenting a possible violation of policy. Incident Reports are submitted, evaluated to determine if the Student Code or University Housing Hallmarks have been violated, and assigned a case coordinator to investigate the allegations.
Students may also deny the charge(s) and allow the professional staff member to decide responsibility for a violation. If the professional staff member determines responsibility, a sanction and any conditions will be assigned. This action may be appealed to Office for Student Conflict Resolution. If more formal action is appropriate, there are two possible hearing bodies:
1. A University of Illinois case coordinator is an administrator empowered by the Faculty Senate to hear cases and decide responsibility and sanctions on behalf of the University. Decisions by a case coordinator cannot exceed University Conduct Probation.
2. The Senate Sub-Committee on (a) Undergraduate or (b) Graduate Student Conduct is the highest hearing body for undergraduate students and is made up of faculty and student members.

Due Process Rights

Any student facing disciplinary action is entitled to the following procedures:
• The right to be notified in writing of charges* and to attend a meeting with a professional staff member or another hearing body. The student may be required to contact the hearing body within a specified time period to answer to the charge(s).
• The right to present information and witnesses relevant to the charges against the student.
• The right to examine the Incident Report before admitting any charges or prior to a formal board hearing.
• The right to appeal the sanction or finding if the student has not signed a Case Disposition form (see Appeal Process).
*Note: This process may be adjusted during the final exam period to facilitate adjudication before students leave for the semester break or summer.

Conduct Sanctions

There are three types of conduct sanctions at the University of Illinois: (1) formal; (2) educational; and (3) behavioral.
Formal University-Level Sanctions
The Senate Sub-Committee on Student Conduct or a University Case Coordinator can issue University-level formal sanctions. All University sanctions may also include conditions.
1. University Reprimand. A University Reprimand indicates that the student’s behavior is inappropriate for a member of this academic community. A University Reprimand is maintained in the student’s disciplinary file for one year and would serve as a basis for further sanctioning should subsequent violations occur. If there are no further violations within that one-year period, the file is destroyed. A University Reprimand will not appear on the academic transcript.
2. University Censure. A University Censure in an official communication that a student’s behavior is inappropriate for a member of the University community. A University Censure is maintained in the student’s disciplinary file until the student graduates and would serve as a basis for further sanctioning should subsequent violations occur. A University Censure will not appear on the academic transcript.
3. Conduct Probation. Conduct Probation is a strong communication that a student is no longer in good disciplinary standing with the University community. Any subsequent violations of the Student Code will be evaluated in the context of the student’s probationary status. Conduct Probation is maintained in the office for seven years and is copied to the Dean of the Student’s College. University Conduct Probation will not appear on the academic transcript.
4. Dismissal. Dismissal shall be imposed upon a student when the hearing body determines that the student's relationship with the University must be terminated. Dismissal may only be imposed by the appropriate Subcommittee or the Senate Committee. When dismissal is imposed upon a student, they may petition the original hearing body for readmission to the University after the specified time. A copy of the notice will be forwarded to the Dean of the Student’s College and to the Recorder for a notation on the transcript. Dismissal records are maintained indefinitely. Dismissal shall be noted on the student's transcript until such time as the student is readmitted to the University or successfully petitions for the removal of the notation. Permission for readmission by the Subcommittee does not abrogate the right of any dean or director to deny readmission on the basis of scholarship. At such time as a student is readmitted to the University, the student is placed on Conduct Probation until graduation, unless aggravating or mitigating circumstances warrant a different sanction.
5. Formal Sanction Held in Abeyance. In rare cases, the SCSD or an appropriate subcommittee may determine that a certain sanction is the appropriate formal sanction, but strong mitigating circumstances warrant holding the formal sanction in abeyance. The student may continue enrollment under restrictions and conditions. Formal sanctions may only be held in abeyance by the appropriate subcommittee or the SCSD. A student found to have violated the conditions or restrictions of a formal sanction held in abeyance will minimally have the formal sanction imposed. A copy of the notice will be forwarded to the Dean of the Student’s College and to the Recorder for a notation on the transcript. The notation remains until either the end of the formal sanction held in abeyance period or graduation unless a petition for early removal is approved. Formal sanctions held in abeyance shall be terminated automatically upon graduation.
Educational Sanctions
An educational sanction is a activity assigned by a conduct body with the hopes of creating a learning opportunity or a chance to reflect on the actions that took place.
Behavioral Sanctions
A behavioral sanction is a directive that guides a student towards changing a particular behavior. Typically, this type of sanction is clear and documents what type of behavior is to be avoided and for what duration.


Students have the right to appeal an outcome if, and only if, one of the following applies to their case:
1. The hearing was not conducted fairly or in conformity with prescribed university procedures.
2. The appellant must show that any alleged bias or conflict of interest is likely to have adversely affected the outcome of the original hearing.
3. Any sanctions imposed by the hearing body were not appropriate for the violation(s) for which the student was found responsible.
4. New, substantive information, sufficient to alter the decision, exists and was clearly not available at the time of the original hearing.
A student may not appeal simply because they do not like the sanction imposed; the appeal must meet one of the criteria listed above. All appeals must be submitted in writing and made with the specified time frame. Check your decision letter for more specific information.