Checklist for All Break Periods
Undergraduate Residence Halls
Before You Leave
- Close and lock your windows (including storm windows if you have them) and close window coverings.
- Empty trash and recycling.
- Turn off lights and unplug all electrical appliances, excluding refrigerator.
- Empty out refrigerator and dispose of all perishable food items. (Do not unplug.)
- Take all medications, contact lenses and important documents with you.
- Lock your room door, and lock valuables in your closet or take them home.
- Return rented materials to the Residence Hall Libraries or campus libraries.
- Check your mailbox. Mail and packages will be here for you after the break.
- If you have a pet fish, please take it home with you.
- Bikes, mopeds, motorcycles and scooters may not be stored in the halls.
- If you are an international student, remember to take your passport, your signed I-20 and your I-94 forms. Email ISSS with any questions related to these documents.
Other Important Items
- We will accept your mail, books or packages over break for when you return. We will not forward mail over break.
- If you have left items in another resident’s room, you cannot be given a key to retrieve your belongings.
- University Housing facilities staff will be inspecting rooms over the break period and may perform maintenance assignments.
Not Returning After Break?
- Complete the contract cancellation form online.
- Remove all belongings from your room.
- Return any items you checked out from the area desk.
- Check your mailbox. Make sure to update your forwarding address on MyHousing.
- Return keys to the area desk and fill out the express check-out form.
Graduate Upper-Division Halls
Winter Break Information for Continuing Students
If you reside at Daniels or Sherman for this Fall 2023 Semester and are returning for the Spring Semester, you will not be charged for housing during Winter Break. Sherman and Daniels will remain open. You do not need to check out or check in at the desk, and you may come and go as you please. Carry your ID and room key at all times.
Leaving for Winter Break
- Disconnect electrical appliances except the room micro-fridge unit (refrigerator).
- Empty your wastebasket.
- Return any items borrowed from the desk.
- Move personal items from your bathroom.
- Close windows.
- Turn out lights and lock your room door.
Meal Plan Information
Dining areas close after dinner on December 15. Meals resume with brunch on January 15. If you wish to add, cancel or change your meal plan for the Spring Semester, log in to MyHousing. Refer to the Dining FAQ page for deadline information.
Mail service will continue during the break. Newspapers will be held for three days and then discarded.
Although there will be an RA on duty in the area for emergencies, the front desks will have limited hours of staffing and operation. The desks will be fully closed on holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Plan accordingly.
Staff check rooms for lights left on, open windows, etc. while conducting routine custodial and maintenance work in rooms and baths during the break. Violations will not be ignored.
Bathrooms will not be cleaned for the period from December 6 through January 15. Bathroom cleaning resumes on January 16.
Contact your Resident Advisor (RA) or email email@example.com.
Moving Out and Not Returning after Winter Break?
If you are not returning for the Spring 2024 Semester, you must request cancellation of the housing contract by submitting the online request form. If you are not returning next semester, you must vacate your room before 3 p.m. on Saturday, December 16. The housing contract ends on this date for residents who are not returning for the Spring Semester.
Late Departure Requests for Residents Not Returning
If you’re staying past December 16, you must apply to stay. January 2 is latest date. Requests are subject to approval. The non-refundable rate is $40 per night, billed to university student accounts.
Forwarding Your Mail
- Since you will not be a resident for the Spring Semester, we will not hold your mail.
- Update your mailing address online before you leave if you are not returning, so staff can forward your mail.
- Only first-class mail is forwarded. Packages will be refused and not accepted.
- Notify your bank, magazine/movie/music clubs, friends, etc. of your new address.
How to Vacate Your Room
Remove all personal belongings, empty the waste basket, remove posters, tape residue, stickers, nails, hooks, trash, etc. to avoid charges. Clean and defrost the micro-fridge, and leave the unit plugged in and turned on.
Self-Checkout Process: How to Permanently Vacate the Hall
If you are not returning for the Spring Semester, remove all personal belongings from your room and return your room key via the white self-checkout envelopes near the key drop slot located in the lobby near the desk. Directions are posted on envelopes. You do not need to check out at the desk.
If you have canceled your housing contract for the Spring Semester, you cannot leave behind belongings in the room. Property left in the room will be discarded in the trash.
Moving carts are available in the lobby on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be considerate of others and limit the use of a cart to 30 minutes.