Spring 2021 Move-In
We're excited to welcome you to your new home on campus! Time to start planning and get ready to move in.
Visit this page often. The information below is subject to change per developments in COVID-19.
The residence halls open for spring semester on January 17 at 9 a.m. Residents may opt to move in at any time following this date and time.
Returning Resident Returning Instructions
You may move back into your hall any day of the week, at any time of the day. Hall access is available 24 hours.
- You may go straight to your room. No need to visit your area/front desk.
New Resident Move-In Instructions
You may move in into your hall any day of the week, at any time of the day. Hall access is available 24 hours.
- Go to your hall and pull up to the designated unloading area.
- Visit your area/front desk to checkout your room key and receive your Illinois PPE kit.
Area/Front Desk Assignments:
Nugent, Hopkins, Wassaja, Weston, Barton-Lundgren: Nugent Hall Front Desk.
Snyder, Bousfield, Taft-Van Doren, Scott: Snyder Hall Front Desk.
Babcock, Carr, Blaisdell, Saunders: Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls (PAR) Front Desk.
Oglesby or Trelease: Florida Avenue Residence Halls (PAR) Front Desk.
Allen: Allen Hall Front Desk.
Sheldon or Leonard: Lincoln Avenue Residence Halls (LAR) Front Desk.
Busey-Evans: Busey-Evans Front Desk.
Townsend: Illinois Street Residence Halls (ISR) Front Desk.
Daniels: Daniels Hall Front Desk.
Sherman: Sherman Hall Front Desk.
- Unload your belongings.
- Deliver belongings to your room. Guests must exit your hall when you are done moving and will not be allowed back into the building.
Move-In Safety Guidelines
As you move in, the following safety guidelines must be followed:
- Limit the number of individuals helping you move to two.
- Face coverings that cover the mouth and nose must be worn (unless for medical purposes).
- Please limit elevators to one family at a time.
- Hand sanitizer, cleaning supplies, and moving carts will be available, but you are encouraged to also bring your own.
- If you, or one of the individuals helping you move, begins to experience symptoms consistent with COVID-19, please do not come to campus.
All students are required to complete two COVID-19 tests prior to the first day of classes. Please give yourself plenty of time to receive two negative test results and ensure your second test is on or before January 22. Students who fail to follow testing policies are subject to campus student discipline. After receiving two negative tests, students will resume their regular weekly testing schedule, which will be shared via email the first week of classes.
- Testing is free and you will be asked to provide a saliva sample.
- Bring your i-card. An electronic version is also available through the Illinois App.
- Do not eat, drink, brush your teeth, use mouth wash, chew gum, or use tobacco up to one hour before submitting your saliva sample.
- Test results will be available within 5 to 48 hours.
University Housing Resident Recommended Testing Schedule:
- Freshmen and New Students: January 17 or 18 and 22
- Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: January 17 and 21
- Graduate Students: January 15 and 19
Complete your first test prior to checking into your residence hall. You do not need to wait for results, but please be cautious and limit time spent outside of your room, wear your face covering and social distance in public areas, and wash your hands multiple times per day.
If you cannot arrive on campus in time to complete your first test, you must begin testing as soon as possible. You will not be able to attend class or participate in on-campus activities until you receive two negative tests, no sooner than three days apart.
Parking on campus is very limited. Upon your arrival, you may unload your vehicle from a curb or metered space nearest your residence hall (do not leave your car unattended while unloading). For longer term visitor parking that same day you must contact Campus Parking. Meters and lots are enforced by Campus Parking during Move-In. University Housing is not responsible for parking tickets you may receive.
Review the International Move-In page for information specific to your needs.
If you will be moving into University Apartments at Orchard Downs, Goodwin-Green, or Ashton Woods, please check in at the Family & Graduate Housing office. The office is open from 9 a.m. to Noon and 1 to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need to check in outside of our normal business hours, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make alternate arrangements.
The Family & Graduate Housing Office is located at:
1841 Orchard Place
Urbana, IL 61801
Please bring completed forms and provide proof of affiliation to the University of Illinois. Check-in will be more efficient if your forms are completed in advance and you provide the appropriate documents (marriage certificate, domestic partner verification, and birth certificates, as appropriate).
If you will need parking, please review our parking information and apply.