About Your University Housing Contract

Contract Overview

The University Housing Contract is an explicitly worded legal document—an agreement between the student and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The contract should be read carefully. Any questions about this contract should be referred only to the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 or housing@illinois.edu. Other staff members are not trained to interpret the Housing Contract. 

As noted in section 3c of the Housing Contract, the regulations in Hallmarks are part of a resident's contractual relationship with University Housing. Regulations help establish equitable rights and services for present and future residents. A handwritten or electronic signature on the Housing Contract is the legal agreement to abide by the provisions in the contract and the regulations in this handbook.

Residents are also responsible for living within the standards in the University’s Student Code. The Student Code is available at the Dean of Students Office, 300 Turner Student Services Building, or you can read it online.

Special Contracts

Room-Only Contracts

Room-Only Contracts are available to students who are assigned to Daniels or Sherman Halls. See the contract for deadlines to change or cancel meal plans.

Break Housing Contracts

All students who wish to reside in a designated break housing hall during a break period must sign a Break Housing Contract. Any student without a Break Housing Contract who accesses a building during a break period will be assessed the full break housing charge amount. In addition, any student who accesses a hall without a Break Housing Contract will be referred to either the University Conduct Process or to the University Police for trespassing.

Summer Contracts

Summer Housing Contracts at Daniels Hall are available for graduate and undergraduate students. Daniels Hall residents may remain in their same hall if they sign a Summer Contract. Apply for summer housing online starting in early spring semester.

Contract Cancellation, Transfer, and Termination

Contract Cancellation – Current Resident/Renewal

The University Housing Contract is for the academic year and can only be cancelled before the dates listed in the contract. Each year, current residents have an opportunity to sign a contract and choose a specific room and hall for the following academic year. Once you select a room and complete a contract, you have 30 days to cancel the contract with no charge. If you decide to cancel after the 30-day period, there will be a settlement charge of up to 75% of your entire contract amount.

Contract Cancellation – Appeal

A release from the University Housing Contract for reasons other than academic drop or official withdrawal from the University is highly unlikely. If you feel that personal circumstances warrant consideration, you can request a copy of the Contract Release Petition Form from the Housing Information Office. You should complete the release form, supply all necessary documentation, and return the completed form as directed. Only the associate director of University Housing for Housing Information & Marketing grants final approval. You should not sign another contract before being notified in writing of release from your University Housing Contract.

Contract Cancellation – University Withdrawal

If a student has officially withdrawn from the University before the end of the academic year, they must submit the Online Cancellation Form to cancel their contract. They must also sign the Checkout Change Form with the hall/area office. Students must complete the check-out procedures. They are responsible for all University Housing Contract charges until they are checked out of the room, keys are returned, and the Contract Cancellation Form is submitted.

Contract Transfer – Private Certified Housing/Reciprocity

Students living in University Housing or Private Certified Housing/Greek units have the opportunity to move at selected times during the academic year. This opportunity applies to any University Housing resident. Under the reciprocal agreement you may cancel your University Housing Contract to move to a designated Private Certified Housing unit at set times during the year following the published procedure. The student may also move from designated Private Certified Housing or Greek units to the University Housing residence hall system. Students requesting to move to a certified unit for the fall semester must submit the Reciprocal Agreement Release Application prior to Move-In Day. For the spring semester, residents must submit the Reciprocal Agreement Release Application by November 15. Applications may be obtained at area/hall offices or the Housing website.

Contract Release – Off-Campus Program Absence for Semester or Year

If you will be absent from the residence halls for a semester while participating in an undergraduate off-campus academic program (such as study abroad, internship, cooperative program, or student teaching), contact the Housing Information Office around October 1 to obtain a University Housing Contract for the subsequent spring semester. Students studying abroad during the spring semester who wish to return the following fall semester may participate in Housing Sign-­‐Up during the October preceding the spring semester away. Contact the Housing Information Office for more information.

Contract Termination – Academic Drops

Students may be dropped from the University because of poor academic performance. If a student's name appears on the University academic drop list, the Housing Information Office will contact the resident to cancel the University Housing Contract because they are no longer considered to have "student" status. If the student plans to petition their college or department for readmission and wishes for the University Housing Contract to remain in effect pending the outcome of the appeal, a request must be submitted in writing to: Housing Information Office, 100 Clark Hall, 1203 S. Fourth St., Champaign, IL 61820-­‐6982; fax to (217) 244-­‐7073; or email housing@illinois.edu by the specified deadline.

Contract Termination – Non-Registered Student Status

The University Housing Contract requires residents to be enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in order to live in the residence halls. If a resident loses their student status (due to withdrawal from the University, academic or judicial dismissal, failure to complete enrollment, etc.) they are required to cancel their University Housing Contract and move out of the hall. In some cases, the resident may be permitted to remain in the halls for a limited time; however, all housing room and board charges will continue to apply, and permission must be secured through the associate director of University Housing for Housing Information & Marketing. Having another lease DOES NOT constitute a "special" circumstance.

Contract Termination or Room/Suite Change – Administrative 

Residents may be subject to an administrative room/suite change or contract termination for significant threats to persons or property, including but not limited to: assault/battery; setting a fire; tampering with fire safety equipment; use of fireworks; propelling or discarding items from residence hall windows; the manufacture, use, or distribution of a controlled substance; or continued disruptive behavior. The Code outlines additional actions and penalties. An administrative room change is NOT judicially based and, as such, may be imposed as separate action from an official hearing with a hearing body. An administrative room change or contract termination may take place in addition to a hearing.

Although every effort will be made to oblige student preferences, full authority is reserved by the University to assign (and/or reassign) space in accordance with determinations made by the University. The student agrees to accept any accommodations the University assigns.

In addition to the terms of the University Housing Contract, students are subject to the regulations in the Code and may be required to move into another space or to leave the residence halls pursuant to sanctions imposed under the University disciplinary system.

The University reserves the right to terminate the University Housing Contract by written notice if a student fails to comply with any of the terms and conditions of the contract and all other University Housing rules and regulations.

Student Account and Room Charges

Once a month, the University of Illinois contacts students and authorized payers reminding them to view the student account for recent activity. The student account will show all University and University Housing charges, including any prorated charges or credits for room or meal plan changes. Failure to pay your Housing charges in accordance with the payment schedule outlined in the Housing Contract may result, at the sole option of the University, in the denial of further meals or contract termination pursuant to University rules and regulations.

You will be billed for half of the academic year room and board rate each semester. During the spring semester, the amount billed is half, minus $150 credit for the advance payment made at the time you initiated the Housing Contract.

Damages, Repairs and Charges

The following examples are some of the commonly billed damages found in resident rooms. 

  • Tape marks on the walls/doors/windows/ceilings
  • Decals/stickers or residue from such
  • Missing/damaged furniture (including scratches, dents, gouges)
  • Carpet, trash, or recycling items left in room
  • Missing/loose floor tiles
  • Holes in or missing screens
  • Bent/damaged blind slats
  • Dismantled or damaged room smoke detectors

Damage Billing Amounts

  1. ADA sign replacement $50
  2. Bathroom key replacement $50 administrative fee
  3. Bulletin board replacement $25–$75
  4. Ceiling tile replacement $25 minimum
  5. Cooking occurrences $50 per occurrence
  6. Desktop replacement $100 minimum
  7. Desk lamp (floor lounge) replacement $75
  8. Desk lamp (floor lounge) missing fluorescent bulbs $15
  9. Desk lamp (floor lounge) missing ballast $15
  10. Dining room, failure to take a tray to the conveyor $5 per occurrence
  11. Dining room, tableware or food removed $10 per item
  12. Door refinish one side $175 minimum
  13. Door (room or closet) replace $300
  14. Elevator retrieval of personal belongings, including keys $35
  15. Excessive room cleaning assessment based on time necessary to clean
  16. Fire extinguisher repair $15–25
  17. Fire extinguisher replacement up to $100
  18. Furniture replacement cost of the item
  19. Furniture moved from designated room $40 per item
  20. Furniture moved from lounge to room $40 per item
  21. Glass/window replacement $30 minimum labor plus cost of materials
  22. i-card lent to someone else $25 per occurrence
  23. i-card lost (Temporary/Guest) $25
  24. Improper check-out $25 (not completing the check-out with an RA and/or not returning keys)
  25. Key loss and replacement (room key only) $50 per lock
  26. Key not returned (room key only) $50 per key
  27. Lock/latch-set/passage replacement $105 minimum
  28. Late check-out (not pre-approved) $25 per hour
  29. Micro-fridge cleaning and/or replacing unit (Sherman) $50 minimum
  30. Mini-blinds repair $20 minimum
  31. Mini-blinds replacement $80
  32. Mirror replacement $30 minimum
  33. Nail holes repaired $30 minimum
  34. Paint student room $250
  35. Personal carpet removal $40
  36. Posting, improper or unapproved $25 per posted area
  37. Room change, unauthorized $50
  38. Smoke detector replace/reconnect/tampered with $250
  39. Student room hub replacement $25
  40. Student room hub power supply replacement $10
  41. Student room hub cable replacement $4
  42. Telephone jack repair or replacement $20–40
  43. Trash container in student room $23
  44. Touch-up or wash painted surface $30 minimum
  45. Window screen re-installment in window $20
  46. Window screen replacement $30
  47. Window screen and frame replacement $65

Community Damages

Our expectation of all community members is that they will respect the community grounds, buildings, and furnishings. If extensive vandalism occurs and no one is identified as specifically responsible, community damages may be assessed. If damage to residence hall facilities occurs and it is possible and appropriate to assign responsibility for the damage, the cost of repairs is charged to the individual or group. University Housing reserves the right to bill a floor or hall for repetitive or excessive cases of common area damage. See previous section for damage billing amounts.

Hall and Room/Suite Charges

The charges listed above are based on approximate costs and will vary according to the hall and the situation. They are also based on wages for work performed during regular working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays). Work completed at any other time will be billed at an overtime rate, which can be up to twice the regular hourly rate. Calls at night or during weekends or holidays also have a minimum charge of two hours. The minimum billed to a resident account for damages is $10.

Assignments and Room Changes

You agree to pay the applicable rate for the space to which you are assigned. Every effort is made to oblige student preferences and requests for assignments to specific rooms/suites, halls, or roommates. However, according to the University Housing Contract, full authority is reserved by the University to make assignment and reassignment of space in residence halls.

Temporary Housing

Residents assigned to temporary housing locations (floor lounges) will be notified as openings occur in permanent spaces. Students will continue to be assigned in order of the date their contract was received. The student's original area and room-type preference will be considered, but cannot be guaranteed. Once residents are notified of their permanent assignment, staying in temporary housing the entire semester is not an option.

Room Changes

Authorized room changes are only completed in the manner described below. Requests for a change from one room to another, whether in the same hall or to a different hall, begin with a resident advisor (RA) in the undergraduate halls. It is very important for safety as well as billing that students live in their official assignment. Unauthorized moves may result in a $50 charge, and residents may be required to move back to their original assignment locations.

Residents are assigned to the same room for both semesters. Unless there are urgent and exceptional circumstances, room changes do not take place during:

  1. The first two weeks of each semester to allow for census to take place, for students in temporary housing to be permanently assigned, and for roommates to get to know each other.
  2. After the fall break and before winter break, as this is a critical time leading up to exams.
  3. The last four weeks of the academic year.

Residents may submit a Room Change Request Form in MyHousing in mid-November for a spring semester room change.

Room Change Checklist (Semester Room Changes)

Students should complete all items on this checklist to avoid being billed any charges when moving:

  • Complete a Room Change Request Form via MyHousing.
  • Wait for authorization from the residence hall director and hall/area secretary before beginning the move.
  • Report to your current hall/area office to sign a Change of Contract Form.
  • Complete the end-of-semester room change prior to leaving for break.
  • All belongings must be out of the "old" room.
  • Complete all check-out procedures.
  • Pick up the new room keys at the hall/area office.
  • Return the old room keys to the hall/area office within 24 hours after picking up the new keys.
  • Submit a forwarding address for U.S. mail, if necessary (can be done in MyHousing).If a resident has already moved into their new room, University Housing Contract charges will continue until the resident cancels their contract by completing a Change of Contract form, vacates the old room, completes check-out procedures, and returns the keys.

Residents who remain within the University Housing residence halls will automatically have their address and phone number changed in Banner. Those residents leaving the University residence halls must use Banner to change their local address.

Vacancy Option and Consolidation

If a vacancy occurs in a room and no other student is available for assignment to that space, the area/hall office may send the remaining resident(s) a Vacancy Option Form offering four choices:

  1. Retain the room and pay an increased rate for the reduced occupancy of the room (i.e., two residents in a triple would retain the room at double occupancy and pay an increased rate). This total rate is determined by the number of weeks remaining in the semester.
  2. Move to a specific room with a specific person.
  3. Have a specific person move into the room.
  4. Retain the room at its current capacity and agree to be assigned a new roommate(s) at any time.

Residents must return the Vacancy Option Form within three business days to the area/hall office indicating the choice selected. If a resident does not respond to the Vacancy Option Form, the residence hall director will determine the next step.

Any vacancy remains under the jurisdiction of University Housing for assignment, reassignment, or room changes. A resident of a room with a vacancy who in any way discourages the selection or moving in of a prospective resident is subject to administrative review of assignment or contract status and may be required to move.

Break Periods

Break Periods

The University Housing Contract covers that period when the University is in session for classes. The undergraduate residence halls close for three periods during the academic year. 

Residents of Sherman Hall, Daniels Hall, and the Global Crossroads living-learning community in the Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls (PAR) are not required to leave during breaks because these communities are open during break periods. There is no additional room charge as the cost is included in residents’ contracts. 

Leaving for Break

Each resident is required to complete a series of tasks prior to departing for the break periods. Notices will be posted on each floor, and specific information will be sent to residents outlining these procedures.

Break Housing

Limited Break Housing accommodations may be available to residents at an additional charge. All students who wish to reside in a designated Break Housing hall during a break period must sign a Break Housing Contract. Any student without a Break Housing Contract who accesses a building during a break period will be assessed the full break housing charge amount. In addition, any student who accesses a hall without a Break Housing contract will also be referred to either the Residential Life judicial process or to the University Police for trespassing. Overnight guests are not permitted during Break Housing periods.


When a resident decides to move to another room/suite, cancel their University Housing Contract and move out, or move-out at the end of the academic year, they must follow the check-out procedures. You may schedule an appointment with a staff member to complete the check-out. A staff member will complete a room inspection following check-out and assess any damages to be billed. Any personal belongings, valuables, or property left in the halls or on the premises after the expiration or termination of the current contract shall be considered abandoned property and may be retained by the residence hall as its property or may be disposed of through sale, donation, or any other manner at the sole discretion of the residence hall staff. All proceeds derived from the sale or other disposal of such property shall be the property of the University.

Failure to complete check-­‐out procedures may result in a $25 improper check-out charge. Failure to check out by the specified time of hall closing may result in a charge of $25 per hour.