Daniels Closing Information
END-OF-SEMESTER INFORMATION – FALL 2018
The Graduate Upper-Division Halls staff wishes you well as your prepare to finish the fall semester. Read this information carefully.
Have questions? Contact your Resident Advisor (RA) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not returning for the spring semester, you must request cancellation of your housing contract by submitting the Cancellation Request Form.
If you are not returning in the spring, you must vacate your room before 3 p.m. on December 22. The housing contract ends on this date for residents who are not returning for the spring semester.
Late Departure Requests
- If you need to stay past the December 22 deadline, you must apply for extended stay. All late departure requests are subject to approval.
- January 2 is the latest possible date to stay
- The rate is $40 per night. This amount is non-refundable and will be billed to your University student account. No cash or checks will be accepted at the hall desk.
Forwarding Your Mail
- Since you will no longer be a Housing resident for the spring semester, we will not hold your mail.
- Update your mailing address online so staff can forward your mail. Do this before you check out of the residence hall.
- Only first class mail will be forwarded to your new address. Packages received after your departure will not be held and will not be forwarded. Packages will be returned to the sender.
- Notify your bank, magazine companies, movie/music clubs, friends, etc. of your new address.
How to Vacate Your Room
- Remove all personal belongings from the room and bath, empty the waste basket, and remove posters, tape residue, stickers, nails, hooks, etc. to avoid charges for cleaning and maintenance.
- Clean and defrost the micro-fridge unit, and leave the unit plugged in and turned on.
- Minimum billing for damages, cleaning, or missing items is $25.
Checking Out of the Hall
If you are not returning for the spring semester, remove all your belongings from the room. Return your room key to the desk and check out before you leave. Failure to do so will result in a charge for a key lock change and other charges.
If you cancel your housing contract for the spring semester, you can not leave behind any belongings in the room. We will consider any property left behind as abandoned, and we will put it in the trash.
Moving carts are available in the hall lobby on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be considerate of other residents and limit the use of a cart to 30 minutes or when you are actually moving.
Continuing Resident for Spring 2019?
If you reside at Daniels or Sherman Hall for the fall and are returning for the spring 2019 semester, you will not be charged for housing during the winter break period. Sherman and Daniels Halls will remain open during the entire winter break.
You do not need to check out or check in at the desk, and you may come and go as you please. Carry your ID and room key at all times.
Leaving for Winter Break
- Disconnect electrical appliances except the room micro-fridge unit (refrigerator).
- Empty your wastebasket.
- Return any items borrowed from the hall desk.
- Place personal items from bathroom in your room.
- Close windows tightly and lock them.
- Turn out all lights and lock your room door.
Meal Plan Information
- Dining halls close at 6 p.m. on Thursday, December 20, and meals will not resume until breakfast on Monday, January 14.
- You can add, cancel, or change your meal plan for spring semester. The deadline to make a change is February 9.
- Regular mail service will continue during the winter break.
- Newspapers will be held for three days and then discarded.
Hall staff will be checking rooms for lights left on, open windows, etc. while conducting routine custodial/maintenance work in student rooms and baths during the break. Violations will not be ignored.
If you have an approved room/hall change for the spring term, you must complete this change before final exams begin.
All room changes must be completed before Thursday, December 6. You will be billed for an improper room change for any changes made after this date and your room change may be cancelled.
No bathroom cleaning will happen between December 13 and January 14.
Facilities may spray resident rooms for insects or change air-conditioning unit filters during break.