Most current, detailed COVID-19 information maintained by University Housing.

We are monitoring developments related to COVID-19. Below are updates and FAQs related to the virus and its impact on University Housing communities. 

University Housing is following regular updates from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and developing plans to address the unique needs of our hall and apartment communities.

For overall campus information, visit the Illinois COVID-19 website.

Last Updated: 7/12/2021 

University Housing and Private Certified Housing Questions



Are first-year students required to live on campus? 

With our extensive health and safety measures in place, all first-year attending undergraduate students are required to live on campus in University Housing or Private Certified Housing, unless approved for exemption.

First-year attending 2020-2021 undergraduate students who did not live on campus during the 2020-2021 academic year are responsible for fulfilling this requirement in 2021-2022.

First-year graduate students, doctoral students or students with families are not required to live on campus, but University Housing offers three apartment communities.


How will University Housing and Private Certified Housing facilities protect residents?

The health and safety of our residents is our top priority. This fall, University Housing will implement the following safety guidelines and procedures in all of our residence halls, apartment communities and dining locations. 

This information is subject to change to remain in accordance with the the CDC

University Housing Residence Halls, Apartment Communities and Dining Locations:

  • Face coverings that cover the nose and mouth are required in all interior public spaces, regardless of vaccination status, unless for medical purposes. 
  • Housing Facilities will continue rigorous sanitation processes to clean and sanitize public spaces and other high traffic touchpoints.
  • Hand sanitizer will be available at building and dining entrances.
  • Select space will be reserved for isolation and quarantine.  
  • Resident gatherings and programs will be planned in accordance with the Restore Illinois plan guidelines.

For Private Certified Housing health and safety information, please contact individual Private Certified Housing units directly. 

I am living with a roommate. Will I have to wear a face covering while in my room/apartment? 

 Roommates who are sharing a room/apartment, are considered a "family unit," similar to a private residence. While in their room/apartment, roommates (solo or together) do not need to wear face coverings. Residents are expected to put on a face covering before leaving their private space.

Am I required to get vaccinated if I live in University Housing or Private Certified Housing?

For the Fall 2021 semester, it is required that all residents who are able to do so be fully vaccinated (defined as 14 days after the final dose) with a university-accepted vaccine before beginning the fall semester if they plan to live with University Housing or Private Certified Housing.

Residents who are vaccinated should submit their Vaccination Record Card in the MyMcKinley Portal and have it verified before the beginning of the fall semester. View the Illinois COVID-19 Vaccine webpage for more information on vaccinations and uploading your Vaccination Record Card. 

Residents who are not able to be vaccinated and/or who have not had their record submitted and verified will be required to participate in the COVID-19 testing program.

We acknowledge that some individuals have health conditions or other reasons why they cannot be vaccinated. For those individuals, the COVID-19 testing program will continue to be required.

View the Illinois COVID-19 Vaccine webpage for more information.

What happens if I am required to quarantine or isolate at some point during the year?

University Housing is coordinating and partnering closely with the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District to support their work to manage contact tracing for all COVID-19 cases in Champaign County that are related to our residents. 

Isolation or quarantine as directed by CUPHD, University Housing, Private Certified Housing and Certified Greek Housing is mandatory. If you choose not to follow this guidance, you could be subject to student discipline, including immediate suspension for non-compliance. 

  • Quarantine helps prevent the spread of disease by separating and restricting the movement of people who were exposed to COVID-19. It is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to the virus away from others to reduce the potential risk of transmission.
  • Isolation is used when someone has actually tested positive for COVID-19.It is used to keep someone known to be contagious with COVID-19 away from others.

View the Illinois COVID-19 website for campus quarantine and isolation guidelines.

View the University Housing COVID-19 webpage for specific University Housing quarantine and isolation procedures. 

For Private Certified Housing quarantine and isolation procedures, please contact individual Private Certified Housing units directly.