Multicultural Advocates (MAs)
Talented student staff who focus on helping build and navigate our diverse residential communities.
Every hall has a Multicultural Advocate (MA). MA’s promote the advancement of multiculturalism and social justice within the residence halls through community and staff development, education, celebration, and dialogue.
Our communities bring together a wide array of individuals with diverse cultures, backgrounds, interests, perspectives and life experiences. The MAs assist students and staff in each building create and navigate the richness of this diverse community by serving as a resource person, ally, student advocate, peer advisor, role model and educator.
MAs provide opportunities for engagement that promotes:
- Working toward a common vision and aspirations for the quality of life in our residence hall community
- Working in partnership with others to continually improve our services and create a safe and inclusive, multicultural residence hall community
- Celebrating our diversity without division
- Appreciating our similarities and differences
- Awareness, education and understanding
- Supporting residents and colleagues in their efforts to co-create positive, inclusive and diverse communities
The Multicultural Advocates are supervised by the Social Justice and Leadership Education team.
Contact us at MulticulturalAdvocate@housing.illinois.edu with questions or for more information about what we do or how you can join our team!