Residence Hall Glossary

What to Expect in the Halls

A residence hall houses a large group of students. Students live in rooms, typically with two students to each room. Heat is included with all halls, but not all halls have air-conditioning. Our Compare Options tool can help you determine which amenities are in each individual hall.

Please note that a residence hall room is different than a “flat” or apartment. There is no private kitchen in any of the student rooms. Many residence halls have a small common kitchen, shared by all of the students in the residence hall. These common kitchens (or "kitchenettes") are not located on the same floor as the student rooms, and they have limited hours for use each week. These common kitchens must be reserved in advance. Most students who live in a residence hall choose to have a University Housing meal plan since there are no student room kitchens. (Note: University Housing meal plans are required in the undergraduate residence halls.)

Residence Hall Terms

Double: One room with two beds and two sets of furniture. Two students live in a double room. Double rooms are the most common room type in the undergraduate residence halls.

Triple: One room with three beds and three sets of furniture. Three students live in a triple room.

Quad: One room with four beds and four sets of furniture. Four students live in a quad room.

Single: One room with one bed and a set of furniture for one student. 

Suite: A suite is a set of rooms that can include double rooms or single rooms in any combination, linked by a common hallway and with a separate, main entry door. Some suites include a small common room shared by all residents (like a small living room), while some do not have this feature. 

Break Housing: During break periods when school is not in session (when there are no classes), the undergraduate residence halls close. University Housing offers break housing for students who need a place to stay over the break periods. At the University, there are three break periods: Fall Break (occurs in the fall semester in November), Winter Break (occurs between the fall and spring semesters in December and January), and Spring Break (occurs in the spring semester in March). Students in the undergraduate halls must apply in advance for break housing. For more information, see the Apply page.

Temporary Housing: Temporary housing typically is located in one of our extra-large rooms that can accommodate 3-6 students per room. Each student receives a key to the room and the room can be locked just like a regular student room. Students assigned to temporary housing receive a 50 percent reduced room rate (meal plan is at full rate) while they are living in this temporary assignment. These rooms are equipped with an extra-long twin bed, study space, lockable closet or wardrobe, and Internet connection for each student. Students can move into a permanent assignment once additional rooms become available later in the semester.

Lounge: A lounge is a public room where students can gather for socializing, studying, or other activities. Many residence halls have large lounges on the main floor (lobby areas), as well as additional smaller ones throughout the building.

Roommate: A person who shares one room with another person.

Suitemate: A person who shares a suite with another person.

Semi-Private Bathroom (also called a “Shared Bathroom”): A bathroom shared by a small number of students within a suite or adjoining rooms. In Sherman Hall, for example, a common living arrangement is two private single rooms with a shared bathroom in the middle. Semi-private bathrooms are cleaned weekly by Housing Building Services staff.

Community Bathroom: A bathroom that is shared by several students on one floor or one wing of a residence hall, containing multiple shower stalls and toilets. Community bathrooms are designated for men or women.