Sherman & Daniels Closing Information
Fall Semester Break Period
END OF SEMESTER INFORMATION – FALL 2020
Questions? Contact your resident advisor (RA) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permanently Moving Out and Not Returning?
If you are not returning for spring semester, you must request cancelation of the contract by submitting the on-line cancel request form.
If you are not returning for the spring semester, you must vacate your room any time before 3pm on Saturday, December 19. The housing contract ends on this date for residents who are not returning for spring semester.
Late Departure Requests
- If you need to stay past the December 19 deadline, you must apply for extended stay at http://go.illinois.edu/stay. January 4 is the latest possible stay. Late departure requests are subject to approval.
- The non-refundable rate is $40 per night and will be billed to University student accounts. No cash or checks will be accepted at the desk.
Forwarding Your Mail
- Since you will not be a resident for the spring semester, we will not hold your mail.
- Update your mailing address, so staff can forward your mail. Update your address online before you check out.
- Only first class mail will be forwarded to your new address. Packages received after your departure will not be held and will not be forwarded. Packages will be returned to the sender.
- To expedite mail, notify your bank, magazine companies, movie/music clubs, friends, etc. of your new address.
How to Vacate Your Room
- Remove all personal belongings from the room and bath, empty the waste basket, and remove posters, tape residue, stickers, nails, hooks, etc. to avoid charges for cleaning and maintenance.
- Clean and defrost the micro-fridge unit, and leave the unit plugged in and turned on.
- Close and lock windows, turn off lights, and lock the room door.
- Return any items borrowed from the front desk.
- You are not required to make an appointment with your RA before you leave. Your room will be inspected after you vacate.
Checking Out of the Hall
If you are not returning for spring semester, you must remove all personal belongings from the room, complete the self-checkout process and return the room key. Self-checkout instructions are located in the main lobby near the front desk.
Return your room key to the desk and check out before you leave. Failure to do so will result in a charge for a key lock change and other charges.
Personal Property and Storage
If you have canceled your housing contract for spring semester, you cannot leave behind belongings in the room. All personal property left in resident rooms or in the building will be considered abandoned and disposed of in the trash as stated in the Housing Contract.
Moving carts are available in the lobby on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be considerate of other residents and limit the use of a cart to 30 minutes.
Continuing Resident for Spring Semester?
If you reside at Daniels or Sherman for this fall semester and are returning for spring semester, you will not be charged for housing during winter break. Sherman and Daniels will remain open. You do not need to check-out or check-in at the desk, and you may come and go as you please. Do not return your room key, since you are returning. Carry your ID and room key at all times.
If you plan to remain on campus, you are required to continue your regular COVID-19 testing schedule. Testing locations and hours can be found at covid19.illinois.edu.
If You Leave for an Extended Period of Time
• Disconnect electrical appliances, except the refrigerator/micro-fridge unit.
• Empty wastebasket, and return any borrowed items from the Sherman or Daniels desks.
• Remove personal items from your bathroom for weekly bathroom cleaning.
• Close and lock windows, turn off all lights, and lock your room door.
Meal Plan Information
Meal plans for residents of Daniels and Sherman end on Saturday, November 21. Your student account was billed an adjusted meal plan rate in August to reflect the shortened time period.
If you are interested in purchasing a meal plan for the portion of fall break between November 22- December 18, you may contract for break housing meal plan by contacting the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 or email@example.com. The continued housing meal plan is $540 for two meals per day from November 22 to December 18. Dining hall locations and hours are noted below.
If you do not wish to purchase a break housing meal plan but would like to dine with us occasionally over this time period, you may pay the established rate at the checker’s station with Illini Cash or your credit card.
November 21-December 18:
FAR Dining Hall
- Carry-Out Brunch: 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Carry-Out Dinner: 5-7 p.m.
- Retail: 9 a.m.-5 p.m]
57 North (SDRP, Ikenberry Commons)
- Carry-out Lunch 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Carry-out Dinner 5-7 p.m.
- Retail: 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
Dining halls will be closed November 26 and 27.
December 19-January 17: All dining locations will be closed.
• There will be regular mail service during the break. Mail will only be held for current residents. All other mail will be forwarded.
• Packages will only be held for continuing residents. All other packages will be immediately returned to the sender.
• Newspapers will be held for three days and then discarded.
Staff check rooms for lights left on, open windows, etc. while conducting routine custodial/maintenance work in rooms and baths during the break. Violations will not be ignored.
Bathrooms will be cleaned per the regular weekly cleaning schedule, except November 26-27 and for the period from: December 10 until January 11.
Rooms may be sprayed for insects during break. Window unit filters may be changed.