Housing Sign-Up FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I'm not currently a registered student?

If you are not registered as a U of I student for Fall Semester 2016 or Spring Semester 2017, you may not participate in Housing Sign-Up. If you later become registered, live with University Housing, and wish to live in University Housing residence halls for Fall 2017-Spring 2018, contact the Housing Information Office to obtain a contract. You can always sign a contract later, though it may limit your room selection.

How will I know if I successfully completed my assignment?

Within 24 hours of completing your contract on the website, you will receive an email confirming your contract and assignment for Fall 2017-Spring 2018. You may also log in to the Housing Sign-up site again to review and/or change your selection. If you do not receive an email confirming your selection, then you do not have a contract. Contact the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 with questions.

How do I request an undergraduate single room for next year?

Undergraduate single rooms are located in Barton and Lundgren, Nugent, Oglesby and Trelease (FAR), LAR, Busey-Evans, Wassaja, and Bousfield. Residents who currently have single rooms must log on to the Housing Sign-Up site and sign their contract to select their same single room during Same Room Phase. Residents who do not currently live in a single may select any available single room during the Any Hall/Any Room Phase.

What if I have a specific roommate preference?

If your preferred roommate is a current University of Illinois student, you must know their name and NetID. If your roommate preference is an incoming freshman or transfer student, you must know their full name and date of birth or UIN.

You may specify a preference for the following persons as your roommate(s):

  • A current University Housing resident - search for Current Residents within the Housing Sign-Up site 
  • A current University of Illinois student who does not live in the University Housing residence halls (complete this form to select a roommate who currently lives outside of University Housing)
  • A new, incoming University of Illinois student (please complete this form to select a roommate who currently lives outside of University Housing)

If you select a specific hall/room and indicate a roommate preference, the person you specified as a roommate preference must also complete the Housing Sign-Up process. Roommate preference will only be accommodated if space remains available in the residence hall selected.

If the person you request as a roommate is not a current University of Illinois student, or is someone who misses Sign-Up, they must complete a Fall 2017-Spring 2018 contract by May 15, 2017 and indicate you as their mutual roommate preference. For more information about obtaining a contract, contact the Housing Information Office at 333-7111.

How can I live in Daniels Hall or Sherman Hall?

Residents who currently live in Daniels or Sherman must log on to the Housing Sign-Up site October 4-6 and sign their contract to keep their same room, or their room will be available for someone else to select. 

Current undergraduate hall residents will be able to select a space in Daniels or Sherman Halls beginning October 24. Students who currently live off campus can select a space in University Housing residence halls, including Daniels or Sherman, beginning October 31.

You are encouraged to plan ahead and consider other University Housing options in the event that there are no spaces available in Daniels or Sherman.

How can I live in one of the newer halls (Bousfield, Nugent, and Wassaja)?

Residents who currently live in Nugent, Bousfield, or Wassaja must log on to the Housing Sign-Up site October 4-6 and sign their contract to keep their same room, or their room will be available for someone else to select. Residents living in other halls who will be displaced out of their current room will have an opportunity to select Bousfield, Nugent, or Wassaja a few days before all other residents. Residents who are in this category will receive an email with instructions. If you are not in this group, your opportunity to select Bousfield, Nugent, or Wassaja is on the first day of the Any Hall/Any Room phase.

Only students in the Campus Honors Program and the James Scholars Honors Program are eligible to select space in the Honors Living Learning Community in Nugent Hall.

What options are there for coed or gender-inclusive housing?

  • Bousfield Hall offers some coed suites (four singles with a shared living room and semi-private bathroom) where a mix of men and women can live in the same suite. You may request the Bousfield gender-inclusive options using our Room Block form (deadline October 4).
  • Sherman Hall offers limited coed corner single rooms (three singles grouped together with a semi-private bathroom). These options permit both men and women to select the same suite. You can see the specific room numbers of these coed options when you log in to the Housing Sign-Up site and are selecting a room. You may request the Sherman gender-inclusive options using our Room Block form (deadline October 4).
  • Allen Hall has a gender-inclusive wing (located in Allen 1 North) that offers gender-inclusive rooms. Students of any gender may share a room. This wing also has a gender-inclusive bathroom, in which students of any gender may use the same bathroom at the same time.
  • Wassaja Hall offers two clusters of rooms that are gender-inclusive. In these designated clusters, students of any gender may share the same room.
  • All of PAR will be coed by door in fall 2017. In these halls, male rooms may be located next to female rooms, and each floor has multiple individual-use bathrooms.

See the Gender-Inclusive Options page for additional details. To explore other options in University Housing that accommodate your gender identity or gender expression, please contact the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 or housing@illinois.edu. We are happy to help you find the living arrangement that works for you.

What if I need special housing or ADA accommodations?

If you currently require special housing/ADA accommodations and would like to continue with the same accommodations for the next school year, we encourage you to select your same room during the Same Room phase of Housing Sign-Up. If you want to select a new room, you must inform us of your needs within the Housing Sign-Up application (there is a box where you can indicate your needs).

Special Living Options 

What if I want to choose a living-learning community or special living option?

Living-learning communities (LLCs) include Allen Hall/Unit One (all of Allen), Weston Exploration (all of Weston), WIMSE (Trelease floors 1- 3), LEADS (Hopkins Hall floor 2), Health Professions (Oglesby floors 3-4), Intersections (Babcock Hall floors 1-2), Innovation LLC (Wardall floors 5, 6, 7, and 8), Sustainability (LAR-Shelden floors 2-3) or Global Crossroads (Saunders Hall floors 2-3), and Honors Living-Learning Community (Nugent Hall floors 3 & 4).

Students who currently live in living-learning communities, non-visitation rooms, Scholars Community, Transfer Community, and the Snyder substance-free hall may reassign to their same room, floor and/or hall during the regular Housing Sign-Up access times.

Students not currently in one of of these spaces may move to a living-learning community, non-visitation room, Scholars Community, Transfer Community, or substance-free housing during the any hall/room phase.

What is the substance-free community and how do I select it?

The substance-free lifestyle option is available in all of Snyder Hall, a coed traditional residence hall located in the Ikenberry South Area. This substance-free community promotes and respects the personal choice to abstain from alcohol consumption in the hall or to participate in low-risk, responsible alcohol consumption outside of the hall. Within the hall/wing, they are a substance-free living community which prohibits the presence of alcohol for all residents and their guests, regardless of age, and the associated results of intoxication. As in any of the University Housing residence halls, smoking and drugs are also prohibited within the hall.

The substance-free community is an optional living area and requires a commitment from the student to abide by the substance-free lifestyle. All residents of these communities are expected to abide by the substance-free lifestyle. If you wish to choose a substance-free room, select a room in Snyder Hall.

Undergraduate Contract Rules and Advance Payment

In order to lock in your spot in University Housing, you must complete the online contract process. The contract is a LEGALLY BINDING document, so please take the time to review the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 Residence Hall Contract and read through all of the terms and conditions, so that you fully understand your rights and requirements before you sign.

At the end of your Housing Sign-Up session, you will be asked to check a box, which serves as your electronic signature and indicates that you have read and agree to the University Residence Hall Contract. You will receive an email confirmation of your assignment. 

I am not sure where I want to live, and I am considering moving off-campus. I figured I better return a housing contract as a backup. Is that allowed?

Please wait until you have made your decision about where to live before you sign a housing contract. Our contract is a legally binding document, which means that we cannot release you to live off campus. Please take time to consider your options before you make a commitment to live in University Housing.

Can I get out of the contract if I later decide I want to move off-campus?

No. The contract you are signing is a binding, legal document, so we do not release students to make other housing arrangements. You will be financially responsible for the terms of your contract for the next academic year.

What if I change my mind about my assignment?

Students may log on and change their hall/room assignment as many times as they wish during Housing Sign-Up from October 4 through April 15, based on the access times.

What if I want to cancel my contract?

Once you select a room and complete a contract, you have 30 days to cancel the contract with no charge. If you decide to cancel after the 30-day period, there will be a settlement charge of up to 75% of your entire contract amount.

If you sign a contract online during Housing Sign-Up and decide you want to cancel your assignment, you may log on and click the "Cancel Contract" button. 

What if I’m applying to be a resident advisor (RA)?

RA candidates will be notified of their applicant status by January 30, 2017.

Resident Advisor candidates who are not offered an RA position but who are chosen as RA alternates are subject to the same contract terms as any student. Therefore, if an RA alternate signs a contract during Housing Sign-Up or later, they have 30 days to cancel. 

If the RA candidate is hired 30 days after the contract is signed, the student must contact the Housing Information Office at housing@illinois.edu to cancel their contract without a settlement charge.

All RA candidates who wish to return to the residence halls need to complete Housing Sign-Up. This is the only time you will be able to guarantee housing for the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 academic year.